Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There's quite a few fig plants in this area - we've got some branches from one overhanging our garden.

We've discovered this week that many of the figs are definitely ripe & taste great. They just need to be a bit soft, but can still be green. We've been peeling them by hand, though I've heard that some people eat them whole.

Last year we missed them (I think we were expecting them to change colour), but this year we haven't! It's also possible that this year's weather has helped them.

Worth checking out if you've got any in, or overhanging, your garden.

Michael

Tags for Forum Posts: figs, food, fruit, local

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

its fine to eat them whole. Lucky you.

My collegaue has been bringing in her figs for us and I must say they are the best I have ever tried.  I guess this is a good year for them. anyone else struck lucky with a fig tree or any other fruit tree for that matter?

I shall be on the lookout... I do love figs!

sussex gardens,lots of lovely looking figs overhanging the pavement!!

Someone's nabbed them all. That cupboard is bare. I shall have to fall back on the ones in my garden. It's a bumper year.
I'm trying this recipe from Waitrose.com with mine. Will let you know how it comes out...

850g black Bursa figs, chopped
400g dried figs, chopped
3 large red onions, finely chopped
3 medium Bramley apples
40g fresh root ginger, cut into fine matchsticks
2 tsp ground allspice
A pinch dried chilli flakes
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
700g demerara sugar
2 tsp salt
800ml red wine vinegar
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Method
The chutney Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Uncover the pan and continue simmering for 30 minutes, stirring often, until thick and richly flavoured. If the chutney becomes too dry, add a splash of water. Taste and correct the seasoning, adding brown sugar, vinegar, or chilli flakes as needed.
Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. The chutney will keep for several months, unopened, in a cool, dark place. Once opened, refrigerate and use within 4 weeks.
Delicious is how it turned out.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service