Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Six pedestrians injured - near junction of Salisbury Road Sunday 22 January

Police are appealing for witnesses

Views: 2418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, just a small sherry then 

I’m def no expert at English language, but I did read this and thought how strange. Why would 6 pedestrians be on the road, that they might collide with a car. Doh. 

The police ( and others ) have to be careful about the words they use in case they prejudice the investigation.

Yes. And not only that, it is perfectly correct English to say the car collided with the pedestrians. And it could be assumed that someone was driving the car (though that will of course change in the future). It is not, however, correct to say it was a collision between the car and the pedestrians. You would not refer to a collision between a car and a tree. That's because the tree is stationary. Pedestrians are not stationary, but their movement and impact is not destructive to a car (or a bullet, as mentioned earlier).

It is true that the word is generally used when two objects are moving, but it doesn't have to be the case. The definition of Collision in Collins English Dictionary: "collision occurs when a moving object crashes into something."

I believe they officially started saying collision instead of accident in order to avoid the latter implying that no one bears responsibility... 

Have they caught the driver yet?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service