Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

After another wonderful episode of neighbours getting together, I'm delighted to be able to report that the 'Harringay Consortium' has won the Harringay House plan in a hard fought ebay auction.

21 neighbours contributed £10 or more to enable the group to clinch the 4ft 6ins long plan at an incredible £410. The group now plan to take copies for their personal use and donate the original to Bruce Castle Museum. Copies will also be made available for sale to non-consortium members if anyone is interested.

A copy will put on display locally, probably as part of the Outer London Fund Green Lanes refurb consultation.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay house, harringay house map, history of harringay

Views: 2640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazing... I would never have thought that it used to be shops, the conversion is done well. What was next door? In the google maps pic, it is a road but this pic looks like something was there (on the right)

You can see the ghost of the small building next door on my Google Streetview picture. It looks like it was a storage shed which may of may not have been associated with the butcher's. The entrance next door led, until the mid nineties, to a couple of railway workers' cottages and I think some railway maintenance buildings. The cottages are still there, but the rest has been replaced by a small sheltered housing scheme.

I would assume there would have been a slaughter house adjacent to the butchers.

Ah yes. Could have been that, I guess.

This is all amazing, particularly to me, the history and of photograph of 16 Wightman  Road. I moved into the commercial premises at 24 Wightman Road a year ago and will be completing renovations soon and moving my business there. Its due to major problems with the building that its taken so long and during the repairs and investigations I found out the in the early late 18 to early 1900's 24 Wightman used to be a Chemist! It's a shame there where no such treasures found whilst tearing the place apart. I found these pictures online elsewhere but wonder if anyone knows of any others  of this area?

http://www.history-in-pictures.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&am...

Here a some more of harringay for those interested...

http://www.history-in-pictures.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&...

Glad you liked it. 

Obviously I'm not doing a good job making its clear what's on the site. We have one of the the biggest available (probably the biggest) collections of historical Harringay photos anywhere. Most of them aren't watermarked so they're turning up elsewhere on the web (like your examples!). We've been used as a source by a couple of UK museums as well as by the richest museum in the USA.

View and browse all our historic picture albums here and our historical videos here.

Quote: "Sadly the freeholder for the whole building, and owner of the ground floor, is an absolute £$%^ and is letting the whole building fall into disrepair."

Contact the leasehold advisory service www.lease-advice.org
Its a free service and if the building is being managed poorly and this is affecting you and your investment they may be able to help.

To get the lease extension tell your solicitor to serve a Section 42 notice to the freeholders address and/or appointed managing agent. Your freeholder then has 2 months to formally respond with a counter-notice. It is much more likely that he will respond to this notice. But if he does not then it's not a problem. Wait 2 months and then apply to the county court. You will win and you will get your lease extension. It might even work out cheaper because your freeholder would have also lost out on his opportunity to negotiate the price. You'll get 90 years added to your existing term and your ground rent will be reduced to nil!

Ignoring obligations to maintain the building (or refusing to cooperate and contribute towards replacement of the flat roof, etc) is a most likely a breach of lease. This will be very easy to enforce, relatively straightforward, and needn't be expensive. Because the freeholder is also the owner of the flat downstairs you can pursue him in two ways; (1) In accordance with his obligations as the freeholder and (2) In accordance with his obligations as the leaseholder!

There are a few things to consider if you want to occupy and convert the loft space above a first floor flat. You are welcome to contact me anytime or pop into my office to discuss this, and the above.

WOW! Now I'm one of the first to not like some of the actions some of the members on here take as I feel it borders one invasion of privacy and plane old noseyness for want of a better word, however in this case I feel this especially such voids should be reported to the correct council dept. I know the lease holder at 24a has been suffering overwhelming subsidence which has been repaired on and off by her insurance for over 5 years now, perhap's such a large possibly illegal and therefore possibly unsafe void or excavation could be the cause of this... then a again it could be an old air raid shelter! 

We've now had quotes from the London Metropolitan Archives Museum to copy the map an make professional prints. Because of the size of the map, it's not cheap, but we will be getting a professionally produced product.

I'm going down to the LMA on Thursday to get the copying done. I'm also taking orders for an initial print-run, also to be done on Thursday. I'm not sure when we'll get the next print-run done, probably next year. So, if anyone who wasn't in the consortium would like either a full or a half-size copy in this first print-run, you can place an order here.

Hi Hugh,

Sounds excellent. Could you add dimensions of full/half-size to help with choice/framing etc?

Thanks

G.

Yes, good point! They were on the Paypal pages, but not the HoL page. I've now added them.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service