Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I just have to finally rant about the local Sainsbury's on Green Lanes. I have watched it steadily deteriorate in recent years but now it's appalling!!! There are hardly any check-outs operated by cashiers now, meaning long queues. When I asked one of the staff recently why there was never enough tills open I was told that was what the new management wanted.

The self-service tills also have long queues and a lot of the time they don't work properly or you need help with them. Now you have to scan your receipts to leave that section but even that wasn't working today meaning I had to wait for someone to open them. This is not saving any time!!!

I am reasonably competent with automation but I dread to think how some elderly or vulnerable people who find it fiddly cope with it. Less interaction with people which is just sad when you think it might be the only chance some people have of talking to anyone

Tags for Forum Posts: Rant

Views: 1955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most supermarkets are cutting back on check outs operated by cashiers. The plan is to get rid of all of them and reduce staff numbers and even to go completely digital and eventually to use biometrics when we pay for goods. Amazon Fresh stores are 'leading the way' to that. Some supermarkets already operate on no cashiers basis and few take cash. 

The choice about how we shop, check out and pay is being taken away. We need to keep pressing store management to provide more cashiers and to keep cash as an option. 

Well, lets see. I saw this last week about a US supermarket stopping use of its self scanning ap because of thefts- so there may be limits.

I hope the limits are reached soon and we can return to having more people at the check outs. Over the years we get to know these people and pass the time of day. When self check out is busy, they have a terrible job to cope with it all. 

Yes this is what I am hoping will happen Justin. I am well aware the world is moving towards automation but I think there are limits and humans do want social contact. I am not totally against automation when it makes life more convenient but I find these self-service don't do that. The staff are still needed when you can't find items, or it's not working. It's often total chaos in there. And as you say I am sure there are quite a few thefts

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service