Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I know there's a great appreciation of local history in the Harringay Online community.

What do people think of this, then:

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/news/leader-statement-review-monuments-...

My thoughts: Rather than destroying historic landmarks or erasing names of buildings, places and streets, we can use them as a springboard for more rounded education.

For example, statues' podiums generally have 360 degrees or 4 sides, but just use a small portion to tell a tiny fraction of their story. We can use each statue's podium to tell more sides and degrees of their story. We can use the room around every street sign and name plate for further information giving more rounded and fuller information about history - both positive and negative.

Doing so will help us to de-idolise historical figures. It will help us to recognise that humans are more complicated than that. Hiding historic figures (and thus ourselves) from scandals and successes risks leaving us ignorant. That cannot be a good thing. Few if any historic figures have a completely clean record or reputation.

Admittedly, no story, however told, is complete. They can, however, be updated with facts over time. At a time when we see so much "fake news", more than ever, we need to focus on facts, and actively seek to avoid misinterpretations of history - either wilful or erroneous. 

History is horrific. Being confronted with the horror helps us to avoid repeating the same mistakes of previous generations in the future. (An excellent example is Berlin's Topography of Terror, and various other installations identifying the terror that most of Germany experienced for most of the 20th Century.)

Out of sight, out of mind doesn't solve previous injustices or teach future generations. History and art is helpful when it's on our streets rather than masked by museums. Statues and other outdoor education installations are an important part of public access to education. The argument that they should be placed in museums concerns me. People from lower socio-economic groups visit museums far less than those from more advantaged groups. Removing street education will be a detriment.

This review is an opportunity to either increase ignorance or enhance education.

I hope it is used creatively for the latter.

Tags for Forum Posts: review on monuments, building place and street names

Views: 3321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, faded one  was the one I was referring to Hugh, I thought it looked wooden but that was just a glance. 

Why would we name a street in Haringey after a well known actor? Does he have links to the place? I thought he was from Sarf London!

I assume you’re joking. 

Of course. Cllr Leader Joe is one of my ward councillors. Not that one would know given the state of the streets and other facilities.

But I digress....

Black boys not racist. Take it from one. Just mad lefties jumping on the banwagon. 

As to Blackboy Lane - surely it was  named for either a horse or a climbing boy (child used instead of chimney sweeps brush) shame that that bit of history should go...

With regards to the origin of the Black Boy name locally, I asked Bruce Castle Museum to fill in our knowledge gaps and I've just published their authoritative response.

Interesting point that came out of Hugh/Bruce Castle's historical post re Black Boy Lane:

West Green Road was once called Blackhope Lane. Would it be good / might it be nice to revert back to its previous name?

Well, yes. That’s what I suggested back at the bottom of page 4. But it might be more of an adoption than a reversion because we currently have no evidence that the name Blackhope also covered what today is Blackboy Lane. 

But from the historical post suggests West Green Road was Blackhope, not Black Boy, right? 

Yes. That’s what I wrote on page 4 and it’s why I’m talking about adoption not reversion. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service