Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just been up in Muswell Hill and noticed there are five newly empty shops on the stretch of road by the cinema - I don't know which businesses have gone except for Leila, but it doesn't look good. I wonder if part of the problem is that Haringey charges £4 for an hour's pay and display parking up there - that's £1 more than in Crouch End or Harringay.

Title changed by site admin. Originally published as "Sign of the Times'

Tags for Forum Posts: muswell hill, parking charges

Views: 2050

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Muswell Hill have fought and won resident parking CPZs for years, therefore in Muswell Hill many side roads are free to park in, the Council owned car park at the back of M&S is still reasonable and the area has great bus routes.

There is a double dip recession, people are spending less and some shops in Muswell Hill sell things people want and not things they need. One of the shops that closed was Clinton Cards and this has happened across the UK. The other shops were small, boutique style shops. Small businesses across the UK are closing as people do not have disposible incomes as much as they had done.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but Muswell Hill does not have a parking problem... its one of the only areas in the borough which has not. I think it is disingenuous, if anything people have a choice to buy a £12 diary from an antique shop or walk a few yards up the road and go to the 99p store and buy a diary from there instead!

If people in Muswell Hill are happy to pay £25 for a model replica bus or £55 for a gold plated ring, then a quid in the council car park behind M&S is not a problem. This is trivalising geniune concerns from businesses in other parts of the borough who have no car park, no free side street parking and seriously need a revisit on parking to address their concerns.

#EndOfRant

Billy the poms adore whinging about public transport but the truth is that, by international standards, public transport in London is excellent and the buses are better than ever before, especially with the advent of the Oystercard.

Oystercard, plus frequent services, plus Countdown mean bus services are pointing in the direction of perfection.

Im worried, are all 3 of us agreeing?...

You can count me in too!

There seems to be a lot of assumptions in this thread about the value of car parking to businesses in Muswell Hill. Is there any (non-anecdotal) evidence that lack of/cost of parking is the primary reason why some businesses are struggling? In evidence I've seen of other shopping areas in London and elsewhere, shopkeepers tend to hugely overestimate the amount of their customers that arrive by car and their relative value compared to customers that arrive by other means. I strongly suspect the vast majority of shoppers arrive in Muswell Hill on foot or by public transport. The area is already pretty unpleasant for pedestrians with narrow crowded pavements alongside roads choked with cars, encouraging more cars into the area could well produce negative consequences for the likely majority of non-car using shoppers.

If the vast majority of shoppers arrive on foot, or by public transport, why are the roads choked with cars ?

Because they are on their way to green lanes :)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

why would anyone in their right mind want to go there?? 

Exactly. Why are the streets of a borough in which a minority of households have access to a car so utterly dominated by motor traffic?

I don't know about any non-anecdotal evidence, but I'd be interested in reading some. But I imagine that I'm not the only person that public transport isn't an option for.

Muswell hill, crouch end, wood green, highgate etc are all too far for me to walk to. So when I want to go shopping I go where it's easy to park - an out of town shopping centre. I'd like to spend my money locally but the stress of parking means I don't. The choked by cars thing is a bit of a 'green' herring, I'm already in my car driving to the shops but I'm forced to drive where the easy parking is which is actually further away...

I already pay for a parking permit why can't I use the same permit somewhere else in the borough?

I genuinely don't wish to be intrusive but when you say public transport is not an option, what do you mean?

I'm actually less fussed about driving to out-of-town shopping centres, it's clogging up sub/urban roads that are amply served by public transport that annoys me. It slows down buses, deters cyclists, and leaves the areas full of unnecessary pollution and noise.

You say 'choked by cars' is a 'green herring' (nice!). But it's not. Air pollution leads to thousands of premature deaths in London: http://www.london.gov.uk/air-quality/health

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service