Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just been up in Muswell Hill and noticed there are five newly empty shops on the stretch of road by the cinema - I don't know which businesses have gone except for Leila, but it doesn't look good. I wonder if part of the problem is that Haringey charges £4 for an hour's pay and display parking up there - that's £1 more than in Crouch End or Harringay.

Title changed by site admin. Originally published as "Sign of the Times'

Tags for Forum Posts: muswell hill, parking charges

Views: 2052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure about that. I know they're pushing for lower charges.

You seem to be the man in the know Hugh. How does one start a group to lobby the council for a CPZ roaming scheme?

Setting yourself up for a disappointment there, Bethany!

In my experience the Council will listen best to:

1. Traditionally constituted groups.

2. Publicity.

You could make a start by sounding out Cllr Canver, who holds cabinet responsibility for the area of parking. See what she think - nilgun.canver@haringey.gov.uk. The depending on her response set up a properly constituted group, get organising an lobbying. Get someone on board who can drive social media too.

Ha! I didn't think it'd be easy. Do you know of any existing groups? I'd be amazed if this isn't already being pushed for by someone somewhere!?

I'll send an email, thanks for the info.

'Get someone on board who can drive social media too.' Surely you're the man for the job Hugh!

I don't know any, but your Goggle finger will likely find them pretty sharpish.

On the social media thing, I should have added "....and who isn't already spending too much time on community stuff!"

Hugh, I think you're too polite to add:

3. High Court judgements.

There are at least two Judicial Reviews coming up. The Administrative Division of the High Court examines process, where local authority processes can be called into question. Sometimes I think it'd be more efficient for the Judiciary to set up a court room in the Civic Centre, in order to save Applicants and council 'officers' having to traipse down to the Strand.

For what it's worth - you can park behind Muswell Hill M&S for £ 1.10 an hour.

Also there's a car park behind the cinema, but don't know how much that is.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to shop in Muswell Hill if it wasn't choked by cars. Same goes for Wood Green and Green Lanes.

There ya go Maddy, yet another story picked up by the local newspapers. First we had the Independent's now you see it now you don't rehash of our Flapjack thread. Now, just three hours after you posted this, the Journal's picked this up and you're famous....well, nearly famous. Your story's famous. Unless HoL is a core part of a story, the local papers tend not to credit folks who've written on here.

Happy to remain anonymous - not really a "story" just an observation...

Having read the article saying parking is £3 an hour - I'm sure I paid £1 for 15 minutes in front of Planet Organic, making an already pricey loaf of bread rather exhorbitant! Yes there is free street parking in Muswell Hill, but you can spend a whole afternoon looking for it - I would hate to live there for that reason.

I've found and emailed Harringay4shops but can't find any associations that cover other parts of Haringey or Haringey as a whole. Do you know of any others? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service