Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need a recumbent.

And you need your head examined...I need functioning public transport

I'm trying to be helpful. There's no need to insult me. These are the bicycles that people with bad backs use.

Are they?  Everyone I've seen in one of those has their head pulled up at a really uncomfortable looking angle in order to be able to look forward.  That would destroy anyone's back after a while. 

That's being helpful???? I call it patronising and rather insulting.  You have no idea what my back condition allows me to do.  It's no more helpful than saying I should go to work by pogo stick or skateboard or jet pack. 

If I did work at Haringey I would have to crawl to/from work on a fume filled bus along Green Lanes. How long should that take in comparison to what it actually takes during rush hour?

Alright I give up Antoinette. You enjoy your driving and we'll tolerate your pollution because you're such a nice person making a positive contribution to the world.

Why does everyone on this forum have to resort to insults?  And why is using the bus now aligned with driving a car as the number 1 top environmental crime?  If you are a wheelchair user, the bus is the only form of public transport you can use because almost the entire tube network isn't wheel friendly.  But that's not good enough - you can't use the bus, you're only acceptable if you ride a bike.  If you don't have legs to do that, you must use your arms I suppose? 

Charlotte A, if you're a wheelchair user, many stretches of Wightman Road are impassable because of the pavement parking.

Somehow the urban environment needs to changed so that people choose to walk, cycle and use public transport more, and drive less. Permeable filtering systems such as are in place on Wightman is one way to do this, because it makes walking and cycling more attractive and discretionary car journeys less attractive. We need more schemes like this, plus other measures perhaps like congestion charging, so that people making non-discretionary car journeys don't get stuck in traffic.

So just return to parking on the road...job done...
Wheel chair users are neglected across Haringey, as are pedestrians.

Are there any pedestrian or accessible streets representation on the current traffic consultation with Harringey Council?

I guess one way would restrict half the journeys at least, the speed limit should remain 20 mph. Each road at the top would have a left turn only, or right turn only.

Hi Antoinette, I like the suggestion to move Wightman parking back onto the road.

The thing with just doing that on its own without any other changes though is that it will go back to how Dick described it in his history post with parked cars constantly getting sideswiped and wing mirrors knocked off and angry hooting and stand offs when traffic can't get past each other - its why the parking was moved to the foot paths and the Ladder rungs were changed to one-ways - the roads just aren't big enough to accommodate the volume of two way traffic.

To move the parking back I think there would also need to be some other changes at the same time to reduce the Wightman traffic volume, such as the making it one-way in one of the directions or some such like Joe has been suggesting. I like the resident only rising bollards at each end idea, and from John's comment about how a small reduction in traffic can make a big reduction to congestion having all the local resident/business traffic able use Wightman and the Ladder rungs via the bollards might make enough of a reduction to the Green Lanes traffic volume to have the buses run fine.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service