Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Penny, That's not how I've seen it.

I agree with you there Antoinette but as I've been saying for years this is impossible unless you close Wightman Rd altogether or put in road narrowings to deter just the commercial traffic. You can't do anything useful or fair if you exclude Wightman Rd from the solution.

Nick, there are numerous comments to the contrary which I can share. The key thing is that this filtered closure of wightman road lacks the ameliorating introduction of improvements to Green Lanes and an holistic adjustment of traffic management throughout the wider area. Exactly the challenge the Green Lanrs Transport Study is seeking to address. Also measuring the map posts in votes is naive as without corresponding comments these are meaningless.

If they are meaningless then why did the survey allow them? I'm assuming they added this rating system to see how popluar, or unpopular suggestions are.

I really don't know JulieB. It seems odd to me. Yes they can measure popularity or the reverse but voters don't have to explain their vote with a comment which is why I found it a bit meaningless. I guess they are taking the temperature rather than taking serious note of votes on suggestions.

I actually think it's a good idea to measure popularity of suggestions. There are a lot of repeated/very similar posts so I'm sure not everyone has time to make a comment on every one of these.

I agree it's a good idea to measure popularity although in this case the mechanism is a bit flawed. I don't think the system required you to create a user account in order to click the thumbs up/down icons. Even if it did, there is nothing to stop you creating multiple accounts - it doesn't even confirm the email address - so a single person could easily cast multiple "votes".

Let's hope phase 2 of the consultation - the longlisting and shortlisting phase - is a bit less open to abuse.

The voting recognises your IP address, so you can't vote for something more than once from the same computer even if you set up multiple accounts. I don't think anyone would bother logging in from different locations just to skew the figures.

It can be abused on both ends. Though the lack of positive votes for many of the proposals is telling.

If people can vote in a referendum without a justifying comment, I'm sure we can take these 'ratings' as a genuine reflection of local sentiment towards each idea.

For example, there is a proposal asking that U turns are banned on Green Lanes, which has only positive votes.

I would agree with that one Nick, but there seemed to be a lot of partisan down votes. People simply wanting to go back to a fully reopened Wightman Road without looking at the bigger picture. I don't think that is very helpful. For example there were lots of down votes for posts identifying the change needed to traffic weight along the school roads, traffic weights which effect on children's health, wellbeing and safety. I found those votes very unhelpful.

There are probably as many partisan upvotes, as both sides are inherently biased. As others have said, the end goal is to reduce traffic equally across the area, rather than displace it from one road (Wightman) to others (Green Lanes, Turnpike lane).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service