Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See attached for residents and metered parking charges.

Tags for Forum Posts: parking charges, public spending cuts

Views: 615

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Department for Transport (DfT) seems to agree with you John_D. The Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England: has a section on Safe and responsible parking (pages 21/22). It reminds Blue Badge holders that:

"The Blue Badge is not a licence to park anywhere. If you park where it would cause an obstruction or danger to other road users you could be fined or have your vehicle removed."

In 2008 the DfT published its Reform Strategy on the Blue Badge Scheme. It refers to comments made by both Disability groups - which wanted to extend the concession - and local councils - which, it appears, did not. The Strategy says (page 16) that: "local authorities already possess the power to put loading bans in place if they want to limit all parking on yellow lines on safety grounds."

So if blue badge holders are parking dangerously on roads near you , I suggest you raise this with the Parking and Highways Services; and your local councillors.

John M, I think we're at cross-purposes. Lorna Reith and I reported bays marked "disabled" for individual residents we knew had died or moved away many months before. At the time it seemed our Highways Team's systems and record-keeping for these bays left almost everything to be desired. (Staff have now changed.) Incidentally, through a relative, Lorna experienced even longer delays in Barnet.

So if there's a bay marked "disabled" and you know for a fact that the person is no longer there - just report that fact to the Council. Keep a record.

I don't get your "point about the Barnet badge".  It is a criminal offence to misuse a Blue Badge which can incur a £1,000 fine. But "... it doesn't take a genius to work out" - is not evidence.

Whether shopkeepers; landlords; vicars' husbands; stand-up comics; councillors; or Nobel prizewinners, I don't care who it is. If you think people are taking the piss, don't speculate. Ask for the Blue Badge numbers to be checked.

Well, at least it would mop up a few of the redundant Council employees. That was the point.

And what exactly does that mean StephenBln? Just because I actually LIVE here and would like to park when I pay good money for it does not make me a dictator, how dare you?

I suggest you comment when you've lived here for a while. As it is now, and not 25 years ago or whenever it was you were here last.

You do not seem to comprehend that rules are useful. Poor you.

I guess he means calling people scroungers and intruders because they park in your street (at times they are entitled to) does mean one could come across as a petty and mean spirited person. But that's just my guess. My German's not that good. 

That's exactly my point, I object to people taking up the space I have paid to use, and they have not. Hence intruders and scroungers. There's enough of them round here. Does that mean I am Hitler? I think not. I never said I wanted to kill them for their race, religion or just because I felt like it, did I?

mmm.....I don't think StephenBLN was proposing you were actually Hitler or Stalin, that is clearly unlikley, (I bet you don't even have a good moustache) but he may have been using exaggeration and humour (I know - a German!!)to make the point I have just addressed.

I suppose you could consider that you're only paying for the CPZ times when they are enforced, when they are not in force you're not paying for them, hence no point in stamping your foot at these times.

How interesting to see how your mind works Annette.. I never mentioned Hitler - you did .. but as they say, if the jacket fits..  I find your nasty sniping not very nice at all.. But I'm sure you are a nice person deep down.. 

I think you'll find your parking permit gives you hardly any rights to park at all...  i.e. what happens if all spaces are blocked by permit owners.. what do you do then? Or do you expect your space to be left free when you're on a awayday? 

Yes, you're right I shouldn't comment.. I just find intolerant people hard to stomach.. 

Thanks for your support Lee.. ah, the Germans and humor - the offer is open to come and see for yourself.. you wouldn't be the first HoL'er I've met up with here.. 

@StephenBln, No, you mentioned dictator, and I picked the best known one, pretty obvious, isn't it, especially as you live in Germany. So yeah, that's how my mind works.

I never said I expect my spot to be left free, that would be absurd on a public road. Please read replies properly. I really can't be bothered saying it again.  

So I am intolerant, just because I don't subscribe to your vision to total anarchy? Fine, then I am intolerant, I really don't care what label you want to slap on me this week. As for nasty sniping, I'd look at myself first if I were you.

And please do feel free to comment when you actually live here and have first hand experience with the problems we're facing.

I'm leaving this discussion now, can't be asked with people who deliberately twist words just to be argumentative.

This section of the thread appears to straying very far from the original posting and into personal remarks. Please refer to site code of conduct protocols regarding tone, staying on topic and Godwinism. You are reminded that the following postings are not permitted under HOL House rules :
  • k. Any comments or messages which are likely to be construed as personal sleights against other members or non-members.
This conversation is deemed to be straying into this territory and therefore we ask you to desist. Any further postings may be removed if they refer to people's assumed character traits or motivations.
Harringay Council has £50 million in the bank according to the news tonight...

They had £37 million in three Icelandic banks a wee while back.

Apple Computer Corporation has £59 BILLION in the bank. So when the US government bailed out the banks, they bailed out Apple too. Awwww.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service