Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New brand identity strategy for Haringey

"I am in"

Discuss.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party

---

update to mark the 'soft launch' (click to enlarge):—

The £20,000 film, The Haringey Story

Tags for Forum Posts: I am in, Local Government, brand strategy, folly, identity, nonsense, vanity, waste of money

Views: 9389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like the 5,000 new 20mph signs?

I assume you have seen the figures correlating vehicle speeds and road accident injuries/deaths. Hardly frivolous or trivial.

Assuming anyone sticks to the limit...which in the absence of any real enforcement they won't... it's a staggering waste of money

Given your firm and sweeping view, Antoinette, I assume you've had time to look up the research which shows this speed limit doesn't work.
Can you help me with some useful links, please.

Yes the research is correct. My point is that people need to stick to the speed limit in order for it to work and I don't see any evidence that it has actually changed the speed of traffic. People are largely ignoring it.
So this is an excerpt from that article, under the title
"Police object to Southwark’s 20 mph speed limit"

"Introducing speed limits where traffic speeds are too high places an unrealistic expectation to enforce on the Metropolitan Police," wrote Catherine Linney of the Met's traffic management unit.

"Whilst any reduction in speed is of benefit, the number of offenders will increase significantly in the roads which presently have average speeds of over 24 mph, placing an expectation on the Police for enforcement which we do not have the extra resources to fulfil.

"The Metropolitan Police objects to a 20 mph speed limit.

Traffic planners' theory is that the speed limits will be made to work by those who do obey it, forcing those behind to stick to the limit or make a suicide bid to overtake, on the narrower side roads that are the ones affected.  I take great delight in driving at 19mph round the ex-Gyratory, where millions of idiots still think they can take a short cut by using Broad Lane.

Justin, if you scroll to the top of this page, my six-month old link to New Brand Identity Strategy (etc). is still live—if you go to the penultimate page of the document, there is a partial breakdown of the £86,000 figure.

There appears to have been a lot more spending since then that is not included. There is mention of costs of changing branding "moving forward" to be met by service budgets "as and when they are required".

It's my impression that there's a more than mere replacement of worn-out signs going on: signs are appearing where no sign has gone before.

Some folk regard branding as more important than others.

Corporate-style branding is fashionable.

This video ("We are Rhode Island") is much in the corporate-branding genre, even if it did take a few too many artistic liberties.

It is claimed that Rhode Island people "are always moving forward …", even if their PR effort may have taken a step backwards. If you haven't watched Haringey-London's video-promo yet, it's here.

The two are worth comparing in pace, music and messaging. In R.I., there's a pizza going into an oven, whereas Haringey-London features bread coming out of an oven. I wonder if other Local Government videos feature ovens – it's not the first thing I associate with Boroughs.

The Rhode Island PR piece has received criticism on social media, with some deserved ribbing.

It sounds like Rhode Island and Haringey are unique.

Anyone remember Dalston?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/you-say-you-want-a-revolution#.je...

wasnt like that in my day.  Except the Rio.

Was the Dalston video made by a Council or a developer? I thought it was too long compared with Rhode Island and Haringey-London.

I did like Rhode Island's (sail-like) logo but thought the script was no better than The Haringey Story.

Apparently, in R.I. they face challenges. And—in common with other places in the world (featured in The Haringey Story)—the residents of Rhode Island eat food.

Clive, Clive, Clive....

You don't have the time to scour the globe for other examples of money wasting corporate videos. We need you to be brandishing that 'fine toothed comb' of yours in the direction Haringey council, shining the light of truth on their fiscal follies. Pssst. I believe that in the pipeline are some 'Haringey' branded golfing umbrellas (For use on the Ally Pally pitch and putt), branded underpants (Essential for the likes of Alan to sit around in whilst contributing to HoL at all times of the day and night) and branded poop 'n' scoop bags (For the conscientious dog owner), so come on Clive, stop messing about and get on with the serious business at hand.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service