Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Network Rail have formally announced on their website that Wightman Road bridge will reopen on Monday 5th September:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/wightman-road-bridge-r...

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What if they do ? If you sell me your ration and I use it, the net result is that you can't use your car, which is the object.

Carbon emissions trading in action on an individual rather than (as now) a corporate scale. Bingo!

But that just means the people that can afford to will buy up what they need and it won't reduce their mileage at all...so I don't see what difference it would make

But it reduces your mileage.

If I have 5000 miles and you have 5000 miles that's 10.000 miles in all.

If you sell me your ration I have 10,000 miles but you have none.  Bonus - you have money to pay for your season ticket .

Solution to global warming? - nope.

Moderation of the current free market: perhaps, were John D's proposition to be picked up by, say, the Mayor of London.

Forgot the irony emoji......  

Fair enough, but there still need to be solutions to minimise cut-through traffic on residential sidestreets.  The loss of amenity to residents is the same whether the fuel is bought from BP or siphoned off the post-rationing black market.

There also need to be solutions to keep traffic moving on the major routes - I think you're wrong to dismiss changing road layouts and traffic light phases as "tinkering". There may at some point be a need for congestion charging and rationing and other measures to make private motor vehicle journeys less attractive, but meanwhile there are plenty of measures which local authorities can and should take in order to make other modes - cycling and public transport - more attractive.

Joe. motor traffic on residential roads will be halved. What other solution is as effective as rationing ?

It would only be halved if the sum of everyone's individual allowance was half of the total of everyone's current mileage, which seems unnecessarily punitive - there is an undeniable social utility of private motor vehicle journeys I don't want to reduce that unnecessarily.

Rather than a blanket halving of traffic on all types of streets, there need to be measures which shift traffic from less to more appropriate streets.

Like closing Wightman ?

Residents of Green Lanes might see that as unnecessarily punitive

But in addition to congestion, there is also the pollution aspect. It doesn't matter where the cars are, pollution spreads. There is no social utility in poisoning people.

The evidence shows that the current measures in place on Wightman have reduced pollution across the whole area including Turnpike Lane and Green Lanes.

Wrong, there's nowhere near enough evidence to support that conclusion. I'm surprised you'd make such a statement.

Let me rephrase, the available evidence points pretty consistently to a reduction in N02 pollution across the whole area.

I am just catching up with threads, is there any evidence of an increase?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service