Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay Online!

I'm considering moving into an available flat on Duckett Rd at the end of January and wanted to say hello, Happy New Year! and find out a bit more about the community.  I love that this online community exists and that it seems frequently visited and there is a lot of interaction by local residents.  I also love that there is a Sunday market that seems fabulous.  :)  I was a bit concerned, however, after reading about the recent muggings and goings on in the passage as the flat is situated close to the passage.  It seems that the community is really coming together to try and tackle the issues and make the neighborhood safer.  If I decide to move in, I would also like to take part in helping to clean up the community and make it safer and better.  I'm definitely leaning towards moving in than not, but wanted to hear from you and the pros and cons of the area especially about safety and walking in the area late at night as I sometimes need to work late.

Thanks all!  I look forward to meeting you.  :)

Melinka

Tags for Forum Posts: new resident, what's harringay like?

Views: 1140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check the tag I've added for links to some similar threads.

It may be that women are best placed to respond to your safety concerns, but from my perspective, although I'm aware at night that we're living in London and not Eden, I don't feel any less safe here than most other parts of London. Right now we seem to have hit a rocky patch, but If you look at the crime stats you'll see that over time Harringay is average on most crime indices.

It's also worth remembering that you probably only know about the muggings issue because of HOL. In this way the website is both a blessing and a curse. Whilst HoL is not the only local site in London, most areas still don't have anything like it, so these type of incidents remain hidden.

Hi Hugh!  Nice to meet you online.  Very true about HoL, but that is one of the things that really attracts me to the area.  It's great to have an active community that looks out for each other and this site is very well put together!  :)  I also understand that there are safety concerns no matter where you are in a big city.  I've lived in major cities my whole life and spent the majority of my life in New York City so consider myself fairly street smart and tend to keep vigilant no matter what.

I think you'll like it here. I can say hello to a lot of people on my street and know that if I've forgotten my keys there are a few neighbours who have mine and vice versa.

Regards

Michael

PS - having a cat is a great conversation opener.

Thank you Michael and Therese for your replies.   Any recommendations for good restaurants, bars and other establishments to check out in the neighborhood would be very welcome.  I plan on heading over next weekend to explore a bit before making my decision.  Through reading previous posts, I already have Gokyuzu, Moka, the Salisbury Hotel, Jam in a Jar, The Garden Ladder and the Sunday market on my list, but please let me know if you have a particular favorite.  :) Thanks!

That's a shame - is that definite then?

Yes, sadly it is It was always going to be Simon's pension, but I think the sale has come sooner than everyone expected. More here.

Hi Melinka

The bottom end of green lanes  is very 24 hours, lots of men around their shops and restaurants very late, people who knew your face. We lived on Cavendish Rd for a few years and it was really reassuring to know they were there.  Good luck!

That's great to know.  Thanks Gillian! 

It's a great area all things considered, a really handy part of London to use as a base to explore. It needs lots more unusual drinking establishments but give it a couple more years and we'll be there. I recommend moving nearer to wood green tube personally, it's nice to not have to use buses and to have cinema's on your front door but I'm probably a lone voice on that one.

You're certainly not alone. The convenience of living at the top of the ladder seems to often get overlooked as there is this odd bias towards living in N4. To choose between a 5 min walk to the bus station and tube at Wood Green and train at Hornsey versus N4 is a no-brainer. And we're nearer Crouch End.

Glynn

and if you live on the "other" side of the Green Lanes (e.g. the Gardens, St Ann's road etc) you can even walk to Seven Sisters station in 10 minutes (no bus needed) and be whisked into central London in less than 15 minutes. My daily commute has become a delight rather than a struggle as it's always been, and I honestly don't mind the N15 postcode (why would I???)

EDIT: to add that I deeply love Blend Cafe, it's so reassuring to know it exists! :D

Ssssshhhh - keep it quiet Mr Ranger - the house prices are already soaring!!!!!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service