Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What sort of cock up have the LDs managed to make that they can't oust the worst council in London, the 4th worst in the country. The council that employed Sharon Shoosmith, that has mismanaged Ally Pally almost to destruction, that is fouling up the "renaissance" of Hornsey Town Hall, that reports to the government that entered an illegal war, that has "invested" so inappropriately we might lose the Whittington, that has destroyed the pensions system, sold our gold reserves, has an unelected PM who even now refuses to stand down.
Crikey!!!!!

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local elections, Crouch, End, disgusted, labour, libdem, of, snafu

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. Doesn't necessarily mean that I will take everything in or agree with everything I read though.
Kamilla, take a look at my comments here. I'm planning to see what data I can get hold of.
Oh just looked. Thanks v much as that is very interesting. Interested to see what data you can get hold of. I think though the only way to tell is the piles of paper for split votes at the count, but I may well be wrong.
I'll let you know.
I couldn't agree more, Michelle. Clare Kober the Leader of Haringey Council represents Seven Sisters but has lived in Muswell Hill for the last 10 years.
Camden Labour gain
I heard our MP doesn't live in the constituency any more too . .
I would rather be represented by Claire Kober living in Muesli Hill than a hairdresser living in Harringay. Adam, you seem to be the only person who cares where their representative lives. It really is a peasant 'I want my lawyer in jail with me' attitude. The council needs talented people more than it needs local people.
Yes I agree. Surely it's a case of how often you see them in neighbourhood meetings and on the street and whether they take on local issues - rather than where they rest their head at night. And don't you think you need to know how good they are on council committees/cabinet where strategy and policy for the whole of the borough is made? Or are people not interested in Hariingey as a borough ?I can tell you I'm more interested in the state of children's services than dog poo on the streets - but I guess a lot of people aren't! This 'they need to be living in the ward' sounds a bit parochial to me.
The council needs talented people more than it needs local people.

AGREE, John. Where a politician lives is about as relevant to their ability to represent as what car they drive or what their favourite colour is.

Residential address is of course code for how rich or poor they are. I couldn't care less how rich or poor a candidate is: its the quality of their thought and their policies that will only ever matter to others.

For example: I couldn't care less where Peter Mandelson lives; however, I happen not to sympathise with his statement that "we are intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich". Income disparity under New Labour has reached new levels and this reinforces the class system from which derives the pointless fretting about where a politician happens to live at the moment.
Are all hairdressers incapable then John, I would prefer someone local who understand local needs?

Adam is certainly not the only person who believes if someone lives in the ward or constituency they represent they are more in tune with what people want and need. If you are not facing the same issues day in day out, you don’t feel such an urgency to act. Problems vary from ward to ward and constituency to constituency, if you live in a community that doesn’t experience these problems then how do you know how it affects you.

Tristram Hunt who lives on Seymour Road now represents Stoke Central as an MP, he has no knowledge of how this constituency works or feels. After failing to become and MP in Liverpool and Leyton, it was third time lucky for this political journeyman. Okay he has been involved in the Staffordshire Haul and worked with the local museum but that’s where it ends. Stoke central is a poor, working class area; this man has nothing in common with the electorate. Harringay and Stoke central have very little in common. If the BNP weren’t such a threat there he would not have got a huge majority. I would imagine Tristram will live well outside the Stoke Central boundaries too.

If you represent a ward or constituency you will be respected and more effective if you live in your local area and raise your kids locally something our local MP and at least on of our councillors feel is beneath them, they didn’t get my vote for this fact alone. This is a none political angle, I would expect it from all political representatives.
It may be an advantage if a politician lives locally but its surely far down the list of priorities. Would you rather have a hairdresser next to you who suffered as you suffer from the issues in your common street, or someone yet more competent who lived further away?

I understand Mr Lammy has been returned with an increased majority: does this not demonstrate that notwithstanding the (IMO unreasonable) criticism of his moving home, this is not seen as an important issue by electors? I'm not saying this disproves your legitimate thesis (with which I disagree), just that its unimportant for most people.

It's seems more noble somehow to vote for individuals: but most electors know nothing of the people they vote for and instead ballot along party lines: so unusual is it to do otherwise, that some who have done so have been proud enough to announce it!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service