Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Conservative candidates in St Ann's have been strangely mute. Requests to interview them have been met with a a stonewall of silence. Odd then that they should choose to announce themselves at this late stage by fly-posting in the ward.

Tottenham councillor and Harringay Online member Alan Stanton has used his hard-worked Flickr blog to point up this anti-social act.

(At least all three can now claim to have been on a Haringey cabinet even as their aims to be in the Haringey Cabinet are likely to be frustrated).

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I think that just about sums up how much you care Justin.

You take part in this debate and it is something you can take responsibility for. I doubt people on this site have any power to deal with SWP/Kurdish Films/Rave Night flyposting but as a leading member of Tottenham Conservatives you have a responsibility to deal with the anti-social behaviour of your members and supporters.
Anything to attack the Conservatives - that was the point I was making. How's Cuba?
You really don't get it do you. Take some personal responsibility.
Just a point, can someone point me to the rants over the various events that HOL advertises through it's events that have indeed been fly posted all over the area? The last time a thread like this was started was with the SWP and various political swipes at them although I have never seen a thread having a go at the organisers of the Turkish Film Festival etc etc. Willing to be proved wrong as always.
Quite. Again, I repeat, we do not approve of fly-posting. I have emailed round to ask people, if they are indeed responsible, to cease such activity. Wonder if Cllr. Stanton will also report the Tottenham Labour Party |(and the SWP) for fly-posting outside of Tesco? JH (CC4SS)
Flyposting is wrong. It is tatty and cheap while being expensive to clean up after. Offenders and those who benefit should be fined the maximum amount. I'm not aware of any other event, apart from the one you've named, that we have written up that has been fly posted around the neighbourhood. Can you give examples of the etc etc?

To be honest, if I started a thread every time I see some, it would become a tedious and daily event. Every cheap phone card, man and van, Kurdish Communist, SWP, Tory enthusiast, music companies that pay for illegal activity in the form of flyposting but want to cut off the internet of caught downloading, fine the lot of them. Then spend the money raised from fines on something good like... oh I don't know... free art workshops for folk whose neighbourhoods are blighted by this menace.
Agree, Liz
That is an interesting point Birdy. There's an argument that an editorial decision to publish or ignore a story can be as significant as the substance of the material itself (very topical, given the ongoing Twitter campaign about the apparent failure of the media to pick up on Tory candidate Philippa Stroud's supposed bonkers belief in exorcism as a remedy for homosexuality)

Applying similar principles, it's entirely fair that if the Tories are illegally flyposting, any concerned resident or other party has the right to report the scoundrels. However I wonder whether HOL publicising a "look what the Tories are doing" story sourced from the photoblog of a Labour candidate doesn't run the risk of at least appearing a little partisan? Not that it matters, given the Tories' chances locally in the upcoming election, but still... ;)
Whatever the risk, I assure you it's not partisan. This would have been covered whichever party did it. If you look in the round at everything we're publishing, you'll see that shenanigans by all parties are being as evenly covered as we can. I don't think the Conservatives have much to fear in the way of vote loss from this story anyway.

Quite happy to be challenged (and proved wrong) about our neutrality, but we're working really hard to do our best. Can any of the traditional media say that?
Having been accused (along with OAE) of being the most anti-Labour voice on here I can attest to Mr Flouch's neutrality and even handedness.
A necessary addendum (before I lapse into a week's silence, icelandic ash permitting):
re my anti-Labour voice above: just my follow-up to thirty years of voting Labour in Haringey/Harringay. Rest assured it would take more than thirty years of Con flyposting to make me vote for Justin's chappies.
I cannot remember Liz but did notice a few after your political (rather than graffiti) rant at the SWP a few months ago, but honestly couldn't be bothered to post a thread about it at the time. It doesn't get me wound up that much, there's far more pressing matters in my opinion, but each to their own I suppose.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service