Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I went for a run this morning, and commented to my running partner that the bridge works were due to begin today (no sign of any activity).

On the way back 45 mins later a gang of workmen were setting up barriers, traffic lights, crossing lights etc.

So, this is it folks, let the games begin. 6 months of Joy!

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 2592

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe those roads south of Finsbury Park were originally closed to prevent kerb crawling rather than through traffic.

You're right Andrew. I'd forgotten what it used to be like.

Seems unlikely that the roads were closed for that reason. There is a network of gated roads between seven sisters road, green lanes and finsbury park that i think are to stop rat running. It is actually the borough of Hackney not Islington. My suggestion is to expand this network all around the park and further into Harringay to stop the rat running that occurs from people trying to avoid green lanes.

I used to live in a house backing onto Queens Drive (way back in the early eighties) and curb crawling was a huge problem then. Maybe it was about killing two birds with one stone?
I agree with you about an approach that would deal with the whole traffic problem around Finsbury Park but that will mean three boroughs cooperating. I won't hold my breath!

ha agreed! I don't have much faith in the harringay traffic review to deliver any real changes but I am happy to be proved wrong!

Sorry, yes of course Hackney. The borough boundary is further down on Blackstock Road

Multiple sources have kerb crawling as the reason. I used to live on one of those roads so looked into it at the time as I was curious. 

What you're suggesting is filtered permeability http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/dictionary/filtered-permeability which Hackney are bigger on than other boroughs. Sadly I can't really see it being something that Haringey would be interested in.

Isn't that - filtered permeability using bollards/gates - the arrangement on Hermitage/Vale/Eade Roads though? And the rising bollard for the Gardens area?

The very least the council should be doing now is to erect signage on Wightman advising of the ongoing road works and forthcoming road closure. Then at least through drivers can start to to think about other routes. Every morning this week traffic queues are snaking back down Wightman from the temporary lights. In a few weeks those using our road as a rat run won't be able to use it at all - can't wait.
Excellent point and a thing I had assumed would happen during March, otherwise on day 1 everyone will be following their normal route on autopilot.

Karen, I take it you mean at the north end, around the Turnpike Lane junction - there were signs either side of the bridge itself the day before the traffic lights went in.

On the display board (attachment in JG's original post) it shows advance warning signs all four ways at the Turnpike/Wightman junction.

There's still a need for signage in other places Gordon. I'm on Warham and cars come over GL from Salisbury Road with the intention of either turning left and down to Endymion or right and up to Turnpike Lane. Unless they know what's coming they are going to follow the same route on day 1 of the works and end up going no where - slow!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service