Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm brand new to this forum - just joined as my husband and I are looking at properties in this area. We moved from New York and looking for properties around here as the prices seem much more reasonable than the Ladder and near Finsbury Park/Stroud Green. I recently viewed a 3 Bedroom property on Langham Road which was absolutely lovely with a garden. The area seems fine with a bunch of Turkish Shops, Tesco Local, etc. near the area and not far from the Ladder.

However, my co-workers have mentioned that it's a rough area and they have friends who have been burgled near Turnpike Lane. They also mentioned that the area has a reputation for being infested with vermin (rats, mice, and roaches).

Reading online mentions about the area haven't been great either. They all mention the Riots, shootings, stabbings (and they usually mention Langham Road). However, visiting the area, I didn't get that impression at all.

I'm wondering if things have changed over the past few years and what it's like to live there now in 2014, how you see the future of the area, if there are any developments, local shops opening, quality of primary schools, community feeling, etc. I just need reassurance that it would be safe to walk home at night from the station alone and that our kids would be safe. Is it up and coming and are there signs of that?

Many thanks,

The New Yorker in London

Tags for Forum Posts: what's harringay like?

Views: 3083

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This subject comes up regularly and generally heads the same way - people that live in, and know the area, like it.

I linked to 3 discussions in this thread: Turnpike Lane

My wife and I moved to just the other side of Westbury (Noel Park) from N4 a few years ago - we're very happy.

It's a very mixed neighbourhood - find some streets you feel comfortable with rather than trying to find the good part of town vs. the bad part. Our immediate neighbours are lovely and include English, Turkish, Chinese, Jamaican, Spanish and Polish. The one very loud group of people on the street moved away not long after we moved in (with some incentive from the neighbours and the council noise team…) and the one over-crowded conversion a few doors down has recently cleaned itself right up.

Can't comment on the schools but the kids on our street are always respectable and polite.

Yes, there's some crime - the worst stuff is generally criminals targeting other criminals. My wife works late, walks home from Turnpike Lane tube but keeps her wits about her and has never been bothered. Our house was robbed not long after moving in but we'd had a new door installed which wasn't locking properly (partly our own fault) - so the guy got in with very little effort. He took flight the second he heard us, an arrest was later made and we've never had any trouble since. 

In this part of London, the riots had the biggest impact on Tottenham - very little happened round Turnpike Lane & Wood Green. Yes, Langham is walking distance from some estates - so are most parts of London.

Rats & mice - we had them in N4, not seen one in or around our place. 

Great cafes in walking distance including Blend on Green Lanes and the Portugese Cafe on Lordship Lane. *fantastic* fish & chips from King Neptune's and a local Sainsbury's recently opened up - also both on Lordship Lane. Wood Green shopping centre isn't exactly glam and I might not choose a fast food chain there for a night out - but it doesn't bother me like it does some other people.

Downhills and Russell Park - both lovely. Haven't been to Belmont Rec. Ducketts Common has a few undesirables hanging out/working - but there has been a concerted/increasing effort to clean it up and keep it clean.

Good luck.

I would suggest coming up the hill and swinging a left at wood green and looking for somewhere between woodgreen tube and ally pally station. It's next to the big new secondary school ( heartlands high ) which is filling up one year at a time ( still half empty ). It's also really quiet once you get off station road itself or look around the noël park area or further up from wood green station towards Palmer's green a bit.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm going to walk around the area this weekend (I've heard Downhills Park is lovely) and probably put in an offer for the property (unless another family beats me to it). Any suggestions of places to see while I'm up there that locals would know about but a foreigner like me wouldn't? 

Hi Sara, Do a walk from Lordship Rec to Downhills to get a feel of the parks you will most used when you move in. Lordship park is a big space where your kids can cycles on bumps, skateboard and play in the playground. The cafe is due to open soon by the friends of group. When in Downhills stop off at the green cafe (No idea what its really called) by the tennis courts, its run by a charity and you can get a feel for other types of park users whilst having a coffee. Do walk onto West Green Road and stop into one of the big Turkish supermarkets near the little Sainsburys. You'll be amazed by the variety of fruit and veg and how cheap a ice cream tub of homous is. Try and buy their turkish chocolate with pistachio in it - it's the best chocolate ever. Buonissimo on West Green is worth a stop too for a slide of pizza and coffee, it's a new Italian restaurant. Also worth popping into Green Lanes and checking out Jam in Jar/Blend. But then do walk up to Wood Green as you will no doubt visit there too if you move in. If you still want to walk there is a new Deli on Lordship Lane (625 Lordship) and then you can cut through the roads back to Russell Park and then Belmont Rec (see the playground of Belmont School if you've got young kids this may interest you) then to Langham Road. 

Downhills Park IS a lovely little oasis of calm, trees and flowers but don't miss Lordship Rec across the north end of the Park. It is a much bigger area with a new younger childrens play area, BMX/skateboard and basketball area. In the far corner is Broadwater Farm community cafe and gardens. Railway Fields, opposite Harringay rail(er, not open weekends!) is our local conservation area - small but has a profusion of wild flowers and birds.

If you are in Downhills Park try the Banc for lunch, they are very kid friendly. Definitely go into some of the local shops, firstly to see the range of food you'll be able to buy 24 hrs a day, and secondly to see whether you are comfortable with buying food from somewhere a bit less polished.

Definitely go to Wood Green as whether you like it or not you'll probably use it, and maybe check out your local bus and tube stops. If you can try to visit on a weekday as well, including around school finishing time and during rush hour.

Well, it looks like someone already put in an offer. You'll have a new member in your community and unfortunately it won't be me 

Thanks for all your support. I'm sure another property will pop up on the market shortly.

Gazump them! It's the English way!

A fairly high proportion of offers fall through, so make sure the agent knows you'd be interested if it came back on.

+1 and +1 on considering a counter offer - obviously taking into account your budget, the asking price, how many other similar suitable properties you've found, etc. etc. 

Also - don't expect the agents to be too proactive for you about the deal (customer service isn't always really a thing in this country…). We had to gently push ours to get any info about asking price vs. negotiating room, other interested parties or other offers.

Failing that - not sure what the market is like right now - but we didn't feel like we were short of properties to look at round here in 2012.

Thanks everyone but it looks like the owner has accepted their offer. Close but no cigar. I'm sure similar properties will pop up on the market. Are there recommended/sought after/safe streets to keep an eye out for while other to steer clear of?

There are some affordable properties near harringay warehouse district. I'm going to visit this weekend. How does it compare to turnpike lane? Reputation? etc.? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service