Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm still shaking my head at this. The Council has spent so much on something noone wants. I don't know why the English don't stand up to this sort of thing. It would never happen in Turkey or Greece. This guy sums it up perfectly.

Tags for Forum Posts: blackboy lane name change

Views: 6875

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I can't say I'm surprised. Nobody wanted this imposed on them. The only "mindless vandalism" in this case was the removal of the Black Boy Lane sign.

In response to supposed concerns from some members of the black community that the name has racist connotations the Council could simply have said 'no it doesn't'. It's named after a pub and the pub was named after either a former King of England or chimney sweeps.

If the original name was so problematic that the council needed to spend £183k on a consultation to replace it, why on earth did they keep the name in brackets?! 

There is nothing genuinely problematic with Black Boy Lane. The council simply wanted to display their credentials after the Black Lives Matter disturbances and thought this would garner some positive press with the large local black community who predominantly vote Labour. Unfortunately for the council, most local people see it for what it is. A cynical ploy. Had they really cared about black lives they would have spent the money on something that actually benefits them and like aged care,  local schools and youth clubs.

I wanted it - I have no problem with the change as I found the name problematic. All the rants about nobody wanting the change is a bit hyperbolic.

As for the comment that it wouldn't happen in Turkey, don't you mean Türkiye. Erdogan changed the name of the whole country.

Just out of curiosity, why do you find it problematic?

Have they really kept the name in brackets? Anyone got a picture? 

Haringey could have funded  a great annual celebration on the day the United Kingdom banned slavery (for years) with that kind of money. In time it could have grown grown into an important London event pulling funding in from elsewhere into the borough (like Islington do with street art at the white cross street party). 

White cross street party cost £10k a year.

But  what do they do? Literally spunk the money up a wall. 

I've read somewhere on a council piece that the name is brackets is temporary until satnavs, maps etc are updated, in due course new signs (minus the name in brackets) will be installed.

yes, they have and it'll be on the signs for a year, then these signs will yet be replaced.

The new streetname sign with the "formerly" addition is serendipity. A solution which balances the opposing views.

Also why  do they ever need to spend 183k on any consultation? How the hell are they spending so much money on something that one person using something like survey monkey  and a clip board could have done in weeks on a few thousand?

What the hell are they doing with our money?  

Alan — My recent experience with direct e-mails to councillors and officers is that they’ve given up replying at all (I wrote with specific questions about LTNs and residential property licensing), while an e-mail to Peray Ahmet about BBL got an auto-response half-promising that a caseworker might respond to me at some point. I hope an FoI request will be treated more responsibly.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service