Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wonder if anyone might be able to help me.

I'm looking for somewhere to keep some bees, and wondered if anyone might know anywhere local that might be suitable.

unfortunately my wife won't allow them in our garden, as she is (in my opinion, unjustifiably!) terrified of them, and so i must find somewhere else.

any suggestions gratefully received - somewhere, ideally out of the way, to which i could get access on a weekly basis through the summer, and occasionally through the winter.

I'm happy to pay my way in kind.

Thanks very much for all your help

Dave

Tags for Forum Posts: beekeeping, bees, honey

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just the one for now, but potentially (and ideally!) up to three
I will give you a shout if I can come up with anything whilst out and about the area.
Thanks Steve

There are purpose built hives in the Nursery in Finsbury Park near Manor House Tube. I`m not sure if they are still in use.

Visit the Nursery and ask Ray who works there. He knows a bit about it.

Thansk Glyn, I'll stick my nose in next week
You probably already know this but the British Beekeepers Association has some sort of scheme whereby people can offer their gardens to local beekeepers.

Another idea is to contact the Trees of St Ann's group www.treesofstanns.org.uk. They are active in looking after the many fruit trees in the grounds of St Ann's Hospital so it would be very much in their interests to have a hive or two to help pollinate the trees. There is also a big section of protected woodland at the back of the hospital that might be suitable.

Have a search on HOL for the group and read about the many unusual trees in the grounds. I imagine the honey produced there would be very interesting tasting. Good luck!

Bees in the grounds of a psychiatric hospital sounds rather dramatic and I agree that the honey would be interesting with all those amazing fruit trees!  

This reminds me of one of my favourite stories. When Chic Murray was ­presented with one of those tiny pots of honey in a genteel Edinburgh tea room, he leaned over it with ­interest and said to the waitress, "Ah! I see you keep a bee."

I@ve emailed them adn I@m waiting to hear back..

Hi Dave,

Im Faye, the chairperson of the Friends of Railway Fields (off Green Lanes, near Harringay Green Lanes station). We are very keen to have two hives at Railway Fields and have recently been in touch with Tony from the North London Beekeepers Association. He was extremely helpful and enthusiastic about helping us reach our goal. Some of our members are keen to learn about keeping bees and eventually we hope to raise enough funds to buy two hives, swarms, equipment etc.

We have put our proposal to the council so are waiting to hear back from them, as they own the site.

I know that doesnt really help you at the moment but thought it would be good to make contact when I saw your plea for help!

Have you kept bees before? We are novices but keen learners!

Faye

David,

You could chat with the Friends of Queens Wood who look after an organic garden out the back of the Woodman's Cafe. There's a hive there at the moment (or has been in the recent past).

For all,

You may be interested in this event coming up Friday 1st April which will have bee related stalls;

Rachel Carson Memorial Lecture 2011
Pesticides and pollinators - a future without bees...
Please keep us updated about your search. There are lots of good ideas here, but if nothing works out then there are some more options. It's such important work.

I'm looking for somewhere to keep bees

Bonnets sometimes prove useful.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service