Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Many of you will have seen the furore around the food being provided for children as a replacement for free school meals during the lockdown this week. As far as I'm aware, Haringey schools operate the voucher system which enables parents to get suitable food for their children for lunch from supermarkets so, fortunately, there hasn't been any baked beans, carrot stubs and half a pepper photos from Haringey parents (scroll down the Sky report I linked to above if you want to see what one company provided, which also included tuna scraped out of a tin into a plastic money bag).

It has brought into sharp relief once again, though, how this pandemic and lockdown are increasing food insecurity for people.

So I'd like to remind people of the St Ann's Food Hub which is still operating. Several of my friends buy boxes of fresh fruit and veg through for a tenner, so I know that the quality and value of the boxes is excellent.

What I hadn't realised is that you can also buy solidarity boxes which the hub then get out to people in need. These are then distributed via their partners. Last week they supported 44 families but they tell me they are getting more inquiries about how to be referred so they would welcome more supporters buying Solidarity boxes for them to distribute. 

Click on this link to find out more and to donate (or buy yourself) a box.

St Ann's Food Hub have just joined Twitter. You can follow them here

Tags for Forum Posts: food hubs, food insecurity, st anns food hub

Views: 250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Liz, I've been volunteering at the Hub from the start and buying a solidarity box every week. It's great to see how happy people are with their boxes. 

We're always looking for more volunteers too! We're at Chestnuts community centre on Fridays and Saturday morning.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service