Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

With local elections in London round the corner, ward-level local political parties across the borough are choosing their who will represent them. Whilst it's not uncommon for sitting councillors to be endorsed to run again without challenge, there are also times when challengers are put forward. 

Both the Harringay and St Ann's ward councillors will face a challenge this time. Mike Hakata, is a St Ann's councillor with cabinet responsibility for traffic across the borough. Haringey Council has a poor record on traffic management and it is way behind neighbouring boroughs in introducing new approaches to reduce rat-running and encourage active travel.

The Ladder, in particular, has been a victim of poor traffic management decisions going back over half a century. Mike Hakata is now apparently promising to tackle the issue head-on. After getting approval for a St Ann's low traffic neighbourhood, he has now turned his attention to the Ladder. Whilst I still have some concerns and questions about the approach that will be taken, Mike Hakata seems to be the best chance we have. it would be a crying shame to see him de-seated by his local party. 

The vote in St Ann's is next week (Monday, I think). So if you are a Labour party member (which I am not) in St Ann's ward, please please do think about making sure that you vote and give full consideration to Mike's importance for the future wellbeing of the Ladder. 

Tags for Forum Posts: deselection, mike hakata, st ann's labour, traffic

Views: 8989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maddy, if your son lives in Harringay ward the shortlisting from those who have put their names forward is a Zoom meeting on 6th March at 6pm and then selection of the three candidates from the shortlist on 15th March at 6pm, again on Zoom.

Mike wasn’t reselected in St Ann’s. Apparently, he’ll be put forward to the gardens/hermitage road now. 

Wonder if those in the background orchestrating their own self interests will finally break their silence and justify this result. It’s pretty obvious we’ve had two councillors doing the work of three. I wonder if those with time on their hands have used their role to the benefit of residents of St Anns? From my experience of our three councillors Mike and Julie have worked hard to solve community problems. They are clearly more conscientious people to get involved in internal muck slinging which has obviously been to their detriment. Clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that needs questioning. 

Do you not have to live in the ward that you are selected for?

No, living or working in the borough qualifies a candidate to stand in any ward

Thanks. I just assumed that the rules for the candidates would be the same as for those who vote.

Both Mike and Julie deselected in favour of the two Momentum candidates. 

Both are on the long list for shortlisting by Harringay ward tomorrow night (9th March)

Michael, which "both" is that?  Mike & Julie or Momentum2 ?

Interested, Harringay Ward!

M & J

How many can each member vote for, OAE? I hope this won't put Gina's sinecure at risk.

The meeting decided on a shortlist of 6, so each person had up to six votes to distribute 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service