Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In case you didn't get this through your door attached is an update on the transport study.

Main points are

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, transport, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Consultation tool now live at Harringay Traffic Study Feedback Tool

Thanks, comments added.

Any chance of posting this at the head of the thread Hugh so that its more easily seen?

Good idea Maggie. Done

Am I the only one who is completely confused by this discussion?  I've read it 3 times and still can't make nor tail of it.

Anyway, possibly irrelevant but interesting fact: we recently stayed with friends in the Netherlands and our children were fascinated to see the number of people who ride bikes on an every day basis and as a matter of course  - no-one wears Lycra, hardly anyone wears a helmets, kids ride bikes from a young age etc.

The twice weekly family shop was done on a bike with massively heavy bags (one on each handlebar for balance) - the bags were so heavy I struggled to drag them from the front door to the kitchen.

And interestingly, public transport - although very reliable and widespread - isn't particularly cheap with no free travel for school aged children unlike in London (other parts of the UK charge ££ though).

I cycle to work and speak to lots of people about cycling and the number one reason not to do so is that its too dangerous. We need proper segregated cycle lanes and less cars.

Whether it's 120,000 or 210,000 vehicles using Wightman Road every week, it doesn't matter if the traffic is rat running or local, it shocking and (even at the lower level) it's way too much and it needs to be resolved. It needs courageous politicians who are prepared to make bold and ambitious decisions to stop this huge blight on residents' lives. There are a raft of solutions that could be applied if there is the political will. It's about standing up for residents and residents taking control of their destiny. HATE SOMETHING, CHANGE SOMETHING, MAKE SOMETHING BETTER

When an individual decides whether to drive a car they look at their own personal situation.

However driving a car has large negative externalities to society (Congestion, Noise pollution, Air pollution, Water pollution, Climate change)Negative externalities occur when the consumption or production of a good causes a harmful effect to a third party.

I have heard a lot of drivers complaining about congestion when the irony is they are the cause/part of of the problem by driving.

A lot of people say its London it should be busy with cars get used to it but that doesn't make sense. If you live in an area with the worlds best public transport, minutes from multiple trains and tubes and 30mins gentle cycle into the very center of London then cars should only be needed occasionally or by certain individuals (such as those less able to walk) I say if you want to drive a car go live in the countryside with lots of open roads where there is no public transport.

To be honest a lot of individuals who drive are inherently selfish by logical reasoning as they place their own desire to travel from A-B above the negative consequences felt by everybody else.

...only saying....

There is data on cars / Vehicles but how many people are they transporting - is it 1 person per car ?

I think this is really important to know but it's hard to collect automatically at the moment. When the predominant source of motor vehicle movement is via Uber self driving cars they will no doubt collect this information along with what you're wearing and what websites you look at while you're a passenger.

a lot of individuals........... are inherently selfish by logical reasoning as they place their own desires...... above the negative consequences felt by everybody else.

Not just drivers.

New traffic counter installed today at the junction of Lausanne and Wightman. Phase 2 ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service