Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Thanks to everyone who helped get it to happen - the GLSG meeting minutes now appear to be getting put up on the council GLSG page.

Hopefully we can get the agenda there too before the meetings happen.

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg

Views: 1480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're full of cyncism today, Birdy. The HRRA has been around for about 10 years and as far as I'm aware has never had any beef with the GLSG.

No I'm not I am full of cynicism every day. Didn't know about HRRA, that's why I asked a genuine question.

No, i don't think we should make a new Ladder RA. There already is the LCSP which is close enough to a RA for the Ladder and it serves a useful function and does good things. Any attempt at a new Ladder RA would only disrupt that and likely cause upset and out of joint noses.

The LCSP does have particular focuses and ways of operating though, so something complementary might work and be useful, and i've talked a bit to you and others about doing that. The reason still nothing has happened is when ever its come up and there has been a need we've always just worked around not having our own group by using one of the other existing groups.

To work without stepping on the LCSPs toes i don't think that new thing could be called an RA or have "Ladder" in its name or as its area. One thing that I would find useful would be a formally constituted group with democratically elected officers and a bank account because thats whats needed to apply for most community funding opportunities. I'd like something with more of a digital democracy focus than the traditional church hall meeting approach used by the existing groups, that could be one of the differentiators of the new group and perhaps another could be more of a community events and arts and environment focus. And it would be nice if all that gave us more direct involvement with the GLSG. I did once asked Nilgun if such a group might get GLSG membership and she sounded quite up for it. I've no interest in going to the GLSG meetings though, perhaps Adam and/or Hugh could be part of the this new group and so continue going along and be our rep too?

WDYT? Anyone else up for something like this?

It's very clear that these agendas & minutes MUST be posted on Haringey Council's website. Any reluctance does not come from Haringey staff. My strong suggestion Is that there's been quite enough gentle reminding. The next time there's any delay, formal complaints should be sent to Nick Walkley the Borough's Chief Executive.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

As I wrote somewhere else, after an initial busrt of enthusiasm, the minutes stopped being published after last April.

I rang the Council to try and track them down. Here's the email correspondence that followed:

Sent: 17 January 2014 12:40
To: Jones Stephen
Subject: Green Lanes Strategy Group Minutes

Stephen,

I've been informed that you are now responsible for the dissemination of the GLSG minutes. I notice that none have been posted on the Council website since April last year. Can you let me know what is happening with the minutes please.

Regards,

Hugh

On 20 Jan 2014, at 14:01, Jones Stephen <Stephen.Jones@haringey.gov.uk> wrote:

Dear Hugh,

Thank you for your email.

To clarify, I am not responsible for the dissemination of the GLSG minutes. My remit as Major Schemes Project Manager is to attend GLSG meetings upon request; and to present and report regarding items under my responsibility.

At the last GLSG Cllr Brabazon requested that I investigate how minutes can be posted online. I have therefore submitted this request to Local Democracy and Member Services for their attention; and suggest that you discuss this matter further with the Chair of the GLSG.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen Jones

Major Schemes Project Manager

Haringey Council

River Park House, 225 High Road, London N22 8HQ

020 8489 1040

stephen.jones@haringey.gov.uk

Face it, the last thing they want is to post those minutes.

"They"?  Sweeping judgements don't help, John.

Some people do;  some don't. The secret-Haringey-don't-want-to-can't-make-me people need to told that fully informed residents are a necessity for a healthy democracy.

Psst. (Turns up raincoat collar, adjusts angle of Fedora and resets sunglasses on nose). Whispers back: They're a committee of the Council. Here's their constitution. (Gives knowing look and winks reassuringly before disappearing in swirling fog)

Do you think? I don't think it's anything so sinister. I imagine it's just fallen into a gap between members and officers.

Many of the GLSG's "members" are semi-regular posters on HoL...

I don't know why its taking so long but i've been pestering about this for months. Apparently no one involved knows how to get them up on the council website anymore. Zena has said she'll just send me the recent minutes so if that happens i'll put them up on the HoL wiki. I'd really like for us to get to see the agenda of the up coming meetings before they happen as well though, i've been asking for that too, and the current membership list.

"Delay is the deadliest form of denial" - C.Northcote Parkinson in "The Law of Delay".  Parkinson also called it  "Negation by Delay " (ND)  "The theory of ND depends upon establishing a rough idea of what amount of delay will equal negation."

Kober's Haringey is a classic case study for illustrating the principles set out in Parkinson's books. The Labour Group in particular shows all the symptoms of second stage injelititis.  After he arrived I started to have hopes that Nick Walkley, the latest Chief Executive, might start to turn this around.

The point is that - constitution or no constitution - openness should part and heart of the culture  of a "community" group. Apart from very limited matters (some personal and commercial data where items can be a confidential Part 2) there should be public access to information about public issues.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service