Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The LCSP (traffic sub-group) and Living Wightman have contributed recently in the development of a resident led submission to Haringey in relation to traffic and the Ladder. I am pleased to share the "Fresh Start" document with you below. I have also copied the email circulated to the LCSP membership setting out the context of the Fresh Start document.

I am also pleased to share a joint letter from the LCSP and Living Wightman to Haringey setting out a request to extend the current Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back in December.

We welcome any constructive feedback and thoughts, and importantly ideas!

Justin Guest

Chair LCSP Traffic Sub-Committee

You will no doubt be aware of the fact the Green Lane Traffic Study is in progress. To contribute to this process the LCSP has coordinated with the Living Wightman Campaign to prepare a resident led submission document that has gone to the council. The “Fresh Start” document aims to characterise the problems faced by many Ladder residents as the Ladder has increasingly become a sacrificial zone as a result what has historically been weak traffic management planning on Green Lanes.

The document sets out the impacts of this weakness in planning, and how the application of ever more pressure on a narrower subset of roads in the borough to act as a relief valve has affected the Ladder.

The document is designed to provoke thought and offer insights to decision makers and influencers who may not be familiar with the area. The document goes further in proposing a partnership between the council and residents in what will hopefully be a long term effort to fundamentally change the profile of traffic flows across the Ladder and surrounding areas.

We also jointly make recommendations as to actions that can be taken to begin making meaningful progress in reducing the traffic burden on the area. We recognise the solution may not be a result of a single intervention, and as a result, as the Green lanes Traffic Study progresses, the Fresh Start document is designed to be a living document, which we hope to add to at appropriate moments and re-circulate to keep the discussion alive.

For those of you with feedback you are welcome to contact myself in the first instance.

Please also see attached the joint Living Wightman letter agreed at the last LCSP meeting requesting a temporary extension of the Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back.

Please note, the traffic sub-group will aim to meet next week. We do not have a date yet. We welcome the ongoing participation of Ladder residents, and if anyone would like to come along, or represent their road please let me know. You will be most welcome.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5105

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there are a couple of things that they could do which would relieve pressure on Green Lanes too:

1. Install a right hand turn phase northbound at Seven Sisters.
  2. Severely penalise the lorries that accept the daily £80 fine for parking in the bus lane as the cost of doing business.

Those are EASY things. You should ask for them, especially the first one. Notice how much clearer northbound Green Lanes is from the Salisbury? That because you can't make a right hand turn until then, those people are trying to head east from as far south as a mile away, they don't want to be on Green Lanes.

I think you are on to something here John.

If traffic coming out of the city cannot turn right at Manor House into Seven Sisiters Road, then it is fed into the congestion of Green Lanes. This is crazy, it needs to change!

And I'm with you all the way on tackling lorries (and cars) parking in the Green Lanes bus lane.

If you stand at the Manor House bus stop you see a procession of vehicles going north over the cross roads, stopping in the middle of the road to execute a three point turn while holding up the traffic, and then heading south to make the turn. Barmy.

Who would be the authority we would need to approach to challenge this?

The junction is In Hackney but the route is managed by Transport for London. It would be good to put pressure on our politicians in order for them to pressure TfL. After all, what this traffic actually wants to do it turn in to Seven Sisters Road, not Green Lanes, so it would not only help with congestion on GL (and St Ann's Road and Westbury Avenue as the traffic finally gets to travel to the east) but improve journey times and cut down accidents at the junction.

They can also turn right immediately to rat-run down Woodberry Grove and then turn left at the lights onto Seven Sisters. This turn is dangerous, really dangerous. One controlled by lights on a main road would be a vast improvement.

@ Christofer

I think you are exaggerating wildly. I drive along Green lanes almost every day and the traffic, though heavy, is not much different to what it was before Wightman was closed. Green Lanes was always crawl, stop, start , crawl. I wouldn't drive Green Lanes now at 9am or 5pm, but then, I never did.

I've just gone Arena to Turnpike lane in 5 minutes - not bad.

I think because you expect it to be bad, you perceive it to be bad.

Agree with you. Fortunately, any plan to close the road will face massive opposition from pretty much everyone else in the area and is unlikely to succeed.

There is talk of compromise yet the only solution proposed is the closure of the road. It is particularly selfish to ask Haringey to keep the road closed after the bridge works are complete, without any consultation and given that the overground line will be out of action.

That's not true that the only solution proposed is complete closure. Just reconfiguring the junction at the Turnpike Lane end back to how it used to be would significantly reduce the roads usefulness to out of borough rat runners and large HGVs. It would also free up space for some housing...

And don't forget the £2.5m wasted on re-building a bridge that leads nowhere....

I don't think that's quite fair. All the way through, we have argued for access for the 15,000 residents of the ladder and a cycle way, plus motor bikes - so the bridge is obviously necessary. We just want the same as the gardens. What's wrong with that?

It's wrong because Wightman Road is not at all like Warwick Gardens - I don't understand how this comparison makes sense.

Closing Wightman road removes all but two routes into Harringay from the west of the borough. These two routes (Endymion Road and Turnpike Lane) are now heavily congested most of the time.

Wightman Road has never suffered congestion, that is, heavy, slow moving traffic, like you see on Green Lanes. The ladder roads, a few outliers aside, do not really have much traffic. The figures from the study bear this out - fewer than 10k vehicles per week.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service