Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The LCSP (traffic sub-group) and Living Wightman have contributed recently in the development of a resident led submission to Haringey in relation to traffic and the Ladder. I am pleased to share the "Fresh Start" document with you below. I have also copied the email circulated to the LCSP membership setting out the context of the Fresh Start document.

I am also pleased to share a joint letter from the LCSP and Living Wightman to Haringey setting out a request to extend the current Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back in December.

We welcome any constructive feedback and thoughts, and importantly ideas!

Justin Guest

Chair LCSP Traffic Sub-Committee

You will no doubt be aware of the fact the Green Lane Traffic Study is in progress. To contribute to this process the LCSP has coordinated with the Living Wightman Campaign to prepare a resident led submission document that has gone to the council. The “Fresh Start” document aims to characterise the problems faced by many Ladder residents as the Ladder has increasingly become a sacrificial zone as a result what has historically been weak traffic management planning on Green Lanes.

The document sets out the impacts of this weakness in planning, and how the application of ever more pressure on a narrower subset of roads in the borough to act as a relief valve has affected the Ladder.

The document is designed to provoke thought and offer insights to decision makers and influencers who may not be familiar with the area. The document goes further in proposing a partnership between the council and residents in what will hopefully be a long term effort to fundamentally change the profile of traffic flows across the Ladder and surrounding areas.

We also jointly make recommendations as to actions that can be taken to begin making meaningful progress in reducing the traffic burden on the area. We recognise the solution may not be a result of a single intervention, and as a result, as the Green lanes Traffic Study progresses, the Fresh Start document is designed to be a living document, which we hope to add to at appropriate moments and re-circulate to keep the discussion alive.

For those of you with feedback you are welcome to contact myself in the first instance.

Please also see attached the joint Living Wightman letter agreed at the last LCSP meeting requesting a temporary extension of the Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back.

Please note, the traffic sub-group will aim to meet next week. We do not have a date yet. We welcome the ongoing participation of Ladder residents, and if anyone would like to come along, or represent their road please let me know. You will be most welcome.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5097

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's actually really helpful that you picked this up Jessica as it obviously isn't clear enough in the document. Next edit!

Grand - it sounds like you might have missed my two comments that are now on page 4. As I said there, the survey results aren't clear in the report. I hope it's clearer now.

Did you check your junk mail folders?

This is an issue with basic statistics. For this survey to have any meaning whatsoever, it needs to be representative of the population of the Harringey ward. Surveying heavily on a few select streets and a few people outside the station most definitely does not meet this criteria.
I used to play in the street with the other children who used to live on Beresford Road.

I think I'm right in saying that only a certain number of roads were surveyed door-to-door. My understanding is that the survey was done to be indicative. There were no controls or scripts and I think calls may have been made at different times of day. It is understood that a more robust methodology would be needed to be certain of local attitudes, but this is useful indicative work. 

Thanks for pointing out the typo - you clear 10 out and introduce another in!

It's not clear, but the 915 represents total survey responses as of the given date. The 233 responses were from the door-to-door survey which I believe is a subset of the total. Whether it is a part of the whole survey or a separate exercise, my understanding is that it is a complete dataset.

Lest I mislead you with a bucketful of good intentions, I'll ask someone from Living Wightman, who conducted the survey & petition, to give you chapter and verse.

I’ve been away in Herefordshire visiting my parents for the weekend with limited wifi. Back now and confirming Hugh’s interpretation of the Living Wightman data as follows:

-Petition numbers are ongoing and currently at 980.

-The 129 survey responses are a subset of the petition signatories, being those people who had the interest and time to also complete a survey.

-The Ladder streets listed in Fresh Start are all of those reached by LW door to door petitioners, being a total of 233 which again is a subset of the 915 Petition signatures (now 980 Petition signatures and climbing). Our plan was to cover all the Ladder roads but we have been restricted by volunteers’ time.

-Residents from other Ladder roads were reached by Petition surgeries at the Bike Breakfast, publicity for that event, plus 5 Petition sessions held outside Harringay and Hornsey Stations. These sessions also picked up Petition signatures from the Gardens and Green Lanes. These signatures form part of the total 980 Petition numbers (previously 915).

In the section about mitigations for Green Lanes, I see the main suggestion is the removal of / restriction of parking. Is the intention to essentially create an extra lane(s) for traffic using the freed space?

My view is that the act of parking itself slows down traffic flow, so shifting it to the side roads (where only 30-40% of households own a car) will allow the free flow of traffic, whether it adds extra lanes or not.

Parking is already forbidden from 4pm - 7pm in the Northbound lane, which coincides with the period of the heaviest traffic.

Not at the weekends. If you look at the bus times going northbound it's at weekends when times are really extended
I'm not sure if there would be enough space to create a completely seperate extra northbound lane as the centre line of the road is shifted a little to the west side to allow for the southbound bus lane. What it would really help with though is allowing easier passing when buses pull up to stops and also to try and deal with the way the traffic holds up every time someone parks/pulls away from parking or simply lingers waiting for a space; something I think we've all seen.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service