Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I attended the Scrutiny Committee meeting on the future of music events in Finsbury Park last night. One of the most important outcomes for local residents is the recommendation for the establishment of a Finsbury Park Strategy Group. Harringay's Cllr Gina Adamou suggested this as the way forward to ensure that residents have a voice on the future of events in our park.

Chair of Scrutiny Cllr Gideon Bull demanded that officers get the ball rolling on this by the end of the month.

I will post further updates when more information is available.

Emine Ibrahim

Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, finsbury park stakeholder group

Views: 5460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I'm happy to get involved.

Will be in touch Michael thanks. First I want to find out what's involved, draw on other RAs experiences.

Good thinking

Contact Details for the secretaries of the Gardens and the Stroud Green RAs ?

Edit to add I found Gardens contact address but Stroud Green Is a Yahoo Group which is restricted so I can't contact

What's all this?  Collective action and organisation?  Actually trying to make something constructive happen?  (Or prevent something destructive.)  Sounds good; what changed?

Dunno if you mean in general or for individual's Alan. For me it was three things, the massive dissatisfaction with waste issues and the willingness of people to get involved in trying to find a solution, the setting up of a group that seems shrouded in secrecy for no good reason that I can see and the lack of a direct voice in the Council for residents in Harringay ward. That is not to disparage local councillors but I do think that by people organising around common issues there is not only a chance of making change but also an opportunity for people to feel less powerless.

I was gently chiding, Michael.

It seemed to me that - with some honourable exceptions - this thread was on the way to becomig a moanfest about Emine Ibrahim.  Which I assume would bring a sigh of deep contentment to the Koberites. Because Emine is one of the minority of Labour councillors who really does believe and try to practice openness, telling people the truth, and proper consultation.

My approach - and yours too - is about solving problems by finding routes around and between blockages.  So mobilising community action seems an excellent idea to me.

Our own local residents' association and friends of Down Lane Park group have achieved some successes. I'm sure they'd be happy to share experience and ideas.

In the meantime, here are a couple of my own thoughts, about the "Strategy Group", not having minutes and meeting in secret etc etc.  Can I suggest a formal complaint to Nick Walkley the Chief Executive.  Which I'd also copy to the Leaders and relevant Cabinet councillors of Islington and Hackney Councils. Their residents are indisputably "stakeholders" in Finsbury Park. And my experience suggests that the cultures of those two boroughs is not the diseased secrecy I see as the hallmark of Haringey's "leadership".

Well of course ( getting in quickly before OAE  )

I had imagined the boundaries would include all the west of Green lanes from Endymion to Turnpike Lane. all south side of Turnpike Lane to Wightman. All of Wightman plus Alroy west, and all of Endymion.

Thanks John. I am seriously planning embarking on a Ladder Pilgrimage which will consist wholly of my walking ALL of the Ladder Roads at least twice, carrying a traditionally shaped Ladder on my shoulder as I ring each doorbell and point silently yet meaningfully at all my Ladder's constituent components illustrating how they combine semantically to define the thisness, nay the quidditas of Laddericity. I may well make this my Calvary next Good Friday. If you'd like to fill the role of Simon of Cyrene, please join me.

Then OAE can we also welcome you to the Haleingay far eastern provinces? Which are not too far distant from the Seven Harringsis Quarter. Which immediately adjoins St Harringannes Zone. Itself no more than a brisk walk from the Harringay Used To Be Factories Warehouse District and close by the Very Near East Harringay Garden Suburble.

Ah Hugh, hectoring is not only my achilles' heel but my housemaid's knee and fiddler's elbow.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service