Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I attended the Scrutiny Committee meeting on the future of music events in Finsbury Park last night. One of the most important outcomes for local residents is the recommendation for the establishment of a Finsbury Park Strategy Group. Harringay's Cllr Gina Adamou suggested this as the way forward to ensure that residents have a voice on the future of events in our park.

Chair of Scrutiny Cllr Gideon Bull demanded that officers get the ball rolling on this by the end of the month.

I will post further updates when more information is available.

Emine Ibrahim

Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, finsbury park stakeholder group

Views: 5460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't agree more.  After approx 3 hours of debate during which all members of the committee agreed with the reasons why Cabinet's decision to agree the increase in event days in Finsbury Park to 5x2/3 (meaning a potential loss of half of the park to local users from mid-May to mid-September (not including the school Summer hols) and goodness knows how long to restore any damage from that use) was faulty, it became a party issue and Labour voted not to send it back.  I'm afraid the proposed FP Strategy Group is just another sop to residents.  Normal lip service is resumed.

Kit

Hi TBD, yes, the Friends of Finsbury Park exists already, tries to defend our park against the council and is not a council-stooge group.

I also attended last night's Scrutiny meeting. I'm afraid the above account of the meeting and its outcome is inaccurate and misleading.

"... the future of music events in Finsbury Park ..." was decided not last night, but a while ago by the Cabinet. Last night's Scrutiny meeting failed to change that.

By far the "major outcome" was that the committee decided not to refer the Finsbury Park Concerts decision, back to the Cabinet.

Of all Councillors who spoke, Cllr Adamou said least. Her contribution was that the council should review the level of charges (to private operators). Any "major outcome" of her suggestion, would be to increase the cash-cow value of our public park (which is what the council intends).

The suggestion of a Strategy Group was made principally by another ruling group Councillor and this appears to be little more, as Kit suggested, than a sop to the public:

Any 'strategy' for our park was decided by the Cabinet a while ago.

Any "Strategy" Group set up now will be an empty gesture: the biggest contribution to strategy for our park could and should have been made last night – but the opportunity was missed. No one could fairly describe the degree of the Cabinet Member's enthusiasm for a "Strategy Group" as unbounded. Could any one have sounded less enthusiastic?

Cllr. Bull gave everyone a fair hearing. He also made a fine show of chastising officers and gave a slight dressing down to hapless cabinet member Cllr. Bevan. Many including me, applauded some of Cllr. Bull's great-sounding rhetoric.

However, it was more theatrical than meaningful.

The council has consistently misled the public over their intended policy and I believe the misleading was willful. However, much of the truth came out last night, especially over the likely impact of Cabinet's Decision.

I was proud of the 15 members of the public who attended and gave evidence, and of local Liberal Democrat Councillors who tried to reason with the rest of the Committee. The several members of the public who spoke – including a leading park campaigner from Tottenham – spoke with passion and conviction and with evidence. Sadly, it was disregarded.

Far from being any kind of victory for local residents, it was a defeat for them and a victory for a misguided council policy. The Labour Cabinet's big, long-term mistake is now locked in and will not be changed.

Last night's three hour meeting was almost a complete waste of time. We gave evidence for three hours after which Labour's 3 councillors voted against sending the item back to cabinet.  There was no way Lib Dem's 2 councillors were going to win.  However, those concerned about Finsbury Park gave an excellent account of themselves, and were without exception more impressive than the councillors, particularly John Bevan, whose enthusiasm was non-existent.  Those of us who turned up to try and overturn the decision to turn Finsbury Park into an alternative venue to Hyde Park were there, not because of any party political motive, but solely because none of us wants to spend a large chunk of the summer with our windows closed and 50000 drunken music fans roaming the streets.  We all care about our park; Labour councillors don't give a hoot.

almost a complete waste of time.

Hi Cathy

I think it was important that members of the public did attend; at least the council knows what residents think about their policy, even if they chose to ignore them.

Incidentally, the promised updates "when more information is available" are coming quicker and more quietly than expected. The original thread this morning, to which I responded above and quoted from, has now been re-worded. You might like to compare what I copied and pasted on my computer (below), to the re-edited version now at the top of the thread.

I attended the Scrutiny meeting last night and a major outcome was that Cllr Gina Adamou suggested the set up of a Finsbury Park Strategy Group which involves residents and stakeholders in the future of events and the park.

Cllr Bull demanded that officers set this group up as soon as possible.

My washing machine also has a cycle called "Extra Spin".

Hi Clive

The post you refer to is still there not re- edited. That is a short post on a different thread. This is a separate thread.

Emine Ibrahim

Emine,

I accept your word that you did not edit your thread-start and therefore I must have been mistaken in believing you had altered it after a subsequent post.

There are slight differences between your posts to two seperate threads, that led to my confusion. In effect, my first reply was to your different post, that you'd worded similarly. I think this is a lesson for both of us.

-

Between your two posts on this matter, you've described the establishment of a Finsbury Park Strategy Group as a major outcome and as an important outcome "for local residents".

Would you be kind enough to explain why you believe it is major and important please?

Hi Clive

I would say that this is an outcome as it’s a consequence of residents expressing their concerns at the meeting. The reason I think its important is because engagement and involvement of local people is always important and Local Authorities do need to provide opportunities for this.

I also agree that engagement needs to be effective and meaningful. You are right the need for transparency is key and needs to be at the forefront of the formation of such a group.

I lived opposite the park on Seven Sisters Road in the 80’s as a child and know the impact major events have, so I do welcome the opportunity for residents to have a voice.

Emine Ibrahim

Good summary Clive! 

Thanks Lyn,

The alleged "outcome" of the Scrutiny meeting appears to be emptier than I suggested. It was announced at Scrutiny, with flare and fanfare, as if it was a dramatic development (we draw a veil over the enthusiasm of the cabinet member present).

Except, I am informed, that it was an "outcome" by the Cabinet at the time of their regrettable decision. Thus, the major important outcome of scrutiny ... may have been a worthless sop first offered by cabinet in December.

I don't want to be too cynical: the council – seeking engagement and transparency – could yet involve and consult the community in the choice of the colour of paint on fences around the perimeter.

Hi TBD,

Thanks for asking about the Friends of Finsbury Park. We were absolutely at this meeting and have been involved at every step of the way trying to challenge the new Events Policy, which we feel will be hugely detrimental to the Park and its users. We did have a petition out before the Cabinet Meeting which got well over 400 signatures - more responses than the Events Policy consultation did.

We're unfortunately quite a small group, which often leads the Council to overlook us, but we are trying to grow. We're now on Twitter (@finsparkfriends) and Facebook (FinsburyParkFriends), so please do follow us. You can also email on thefriendsoffinsburypark@gmail.com if you'd like to join us and be more involved.

Thank you!

Lynn
(FoFP)

Perhaps typical of Labour twisting of words is the title of this thread  " Finsbury Park Strategy Group To Be Established "

No it isn't. There was a suggestion, a recommendation, that's all.

How can we believe anything Labour say ?

John, would you feel happier if the title was changed from "the Finsbury Park Strategy Group", to:

The new and very important, Finsbury Park United Grand Strategy Partnership Group

Moving forward and securing the future together!

(wholly responsible for a margin around the periphery of the entire park – except where surrendered under contract; offer depends on status; terms and conditions apply)

--

The establishment of the fine-sounding name "Strategy Group" was initially described in this thread as "a major outcome" (and advanced by Cllr. Adamou).

A major outcome, is how residents' defeat is dressed as victory.

At best, this "to be established" group would – given the Scrutiny vote – merely be empty and worthless.

At worst, it could be a sham and just tell 'stakeholders' what the council intends to do with the remaining parts of our park still under its care, but create the illusion of a partnership.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service