Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have used inverted commas as I'm not sure if this is necessarily a case of dumping. At the Green Lanes end of Falkland Road, there are two or three blocks of flats or tenemented buildings where the residents do not appear to have any facility for storing refuse prior to collection. As a result, black bin bags constantly pile up around a metal pole (curiously as though it was designed for this purpose, though it only holds a "disabled parking" sign.)

The result is inevitable; bin bags are frequently torn open and the contents strewn about by the urban wildlife. I often find myself having to tread carefully in the mornings. By Monday evening just past, the pavement was completely blocked with bags.

Is this a prolonged case of dumping that I should report, or is it simply the only way in which residents in the flats at the end of the street can dispose of their rubbish? It really is very unpleasant.

Tags for Forum Posts: dumping, falkland

Views: 760

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've shared this with a man who can probably help. 

Heard back today. He's contacted the key folk at the Council. So hopefully will be dealt with now. 

Many thanks, Hugh. After a clean-up, more bags appeared overnight - grocery bags this time!

This has been happening since I moved here early 2015. I'm sorry to say but this has been reported over and over with no resolution. If it's not that pole then it's leaning against the wall on the other side of the road. As you say it doesn't take long for the foxes and rats to get in, then it gets blown up the road as far as the school.

Unfortunately there's a lot of apartments/studios in that block and no place for most of them to put the rubbish. It's not really their fault, but the council needs to provide some sort of solution either a couple of bins in place of a parking spot there, or have them leave the rubbish on green lanes where it gets regularly collected, twice a day i believe.

I saw someone on their way to work disgustedly taking pictures of the pile of black bags you are talking about, reminded me of me a couple years ago living in hope that the council will do something.

Jez, it’s the responsibility of the owner of the block to provide adequate waste disposal facilities for the occupants and I would wager my cat that this was explicit in the planning permission granted ( because it’s a standard condition). It’s the building owner who’s taking the piss

I doubt planning permission was granted and that this block was changed and then "in use" long enough that the council now can't object.

Either way the council are the only ones with power to rectify the situation, I highly doubt the landlord/building owner is going to have an epiphany of social responsibility and cut into his profits. The only way that building is getting fixed is if it's sold and someone bulldozes to build a 3 storey building instead - don't see it happening any time soon.

As I understand it, the premises in question is 144-46 Falkland Road. Looking at the planning records, planning permission for four flats was granted in 2001. Then from 20008, the building was used to provide additional rooms for the Athena Hotel and had internal access to its reception in 657 Green Lanes. That was blocked off in 2011 and an application was made for a certificate of lawfulness to convert to 14 flats! There's no officer report or notice of decision. So, it's not clear what the outcome was at the time.

Either way, the property is now licensed as an HMO - and the licence is up for renewal in two months. 

That's probably good news as the licence will almost certainly have conditions. I can only find the draft conditions online, but I'd imagine that the final version won't have changed too much from this earlier version. The draft conditions include the following:

The licence holder shall put appropriate management and monitoring systems in place (such as regular inspections) to ensure that all gardens, yards and forecourts within the curtilage of the property are kept in a reasonably clean and tidy condition. Under no circumstances should old furniture, bedding, rubbish or refuse from the property be left immediately outside the property, on the public highway or on private land by either the licence holder, tenant or tenant’s visitors.

For what it's worth, this page on the Haringey site is for reporting problems with HMOs. It looks like it's prinarily designed for tenants of the HMO, but there's no reason for it not to be used by neighbours.  I imagine the more people report the isse, the more likely it is to get attention.

Thanks Hugh. I know this property and the problems. Proper provision for waste is the landlord's responsibility. I will contact our enforcement manager, Dave Shipp to follow this up. 

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay ward

Thanks Zena. 

Here's what the Waste Management Team at Haringey have replied to the lcsp:

There are a number of properties nearby that do not have any storage for bins and therefore have to present waste in sacks on the street.

Residents are required to put out their waste twice a day between 8 and 9am and 9:30 to 11pm and it will be collected shortly afterwards.

If residents leave their waste within the advertised time slot then it is not a fly-tip. Outside of these times it is. 

LBH/Veolia  are trying to minimise the length of time bags are left on the street because they are aware that they are prone to getting ripped open by wildlife.

They have experimented in a few areas with large black boxes to contain the waste bags but they tend to attract more dumping around them, so this is not an attractive option

It  is likely that residents are putting their waste out at the wrong time. LBH/Veolia will try again to engage with the residents of the nearby flats and impress on them the importance of putting out their waste at the right time and the consequences if they don’t. They will also double check that local businesses have appropriate commercial waste contracts in place.

If you want to report any further infringements, you can do so by emailing the lcsp who will ensure that your information is sent on the right people in Haringey for action (and keep your name out if it, if you so wish).

As Jez says above, bins could be stored where there are currently parking spaces but as the landlord no doubt makes money from renting them we pay through council tax for the consequences of their greed

Given that the HMO licence for the flats is shortly due for renewal (see above), it may well be constructive to flag this issue to the HMO Licensing team at hmo.licensing@haringey.gov.uk.

The suggestion of converting parking to bin space might also be made. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service