Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33765

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could also have less traffic on Green Lanes by closing Green Lanes too.

I was recently in Manila where they have "sub-divisions" which are closed off except for residents, or taxis and deliveries. Taxi drivers and presumably delivery drivers have to exchange their drivers licence for a temporary permit and therefore need to leave by the same entrance they came in on.

I'm sure the council could make that work. Who would like a Harringay "sub-division" in Haringey?

Sounds a bit fascist.

The age of the motor car is drawing to a close, it has been extended in recent years by massive corporate fraud. You could not make it up. Get these filthy, disgusting things off of city streets.

Oh let me guess: you live on the ladder by any chance?

Wind those necks in please gents.

Chris the logic of what the Council did was to try and disperse the Wightman traffic across the primary route network. Wightman takes 120,000 cars a week under normal conditions. Green Lanes takes 160,000. Full closure of Wightman has caused a high proportion of the traffic to seek routes beyond Harringay. Partial closure would lead to a high proportion of motorists thinking that they should still use that part of Wightman that is open. All of those motorists would still need to use Green Lanes for part of their journey. Let's say 20,000 dispersed elsewhere, you'd still need to accommodate 100,000 additional cars on Green Lanes each week. Now that would be a recipe for chaos. All of those cars would also clog the Ladder rung roads.

Since it's being measured right now, we'll know soon how much additional traffic there has been on Green Lanes. Let's save judgement till then, but I suspect it's nothing like an additional 100,000 each week.

Noise is pretty annoying. Anyone aware of a consultation about times of operation of heavy machinery?

On the bridge? Not sure, but you can put it to the network Rail folks at the meeting on Weds at St Paul's Church

Sam. I think this is simply unworkable for two reasons, one is that there are no more marshals, the second is that with no enforcement you will get this nonsense. If you think things are tough now, imagine what happens when several down road exits are blocked by this kind of selfish stupidity!

Just passed the construction site today at 3pm: completely empty and quiet with a builder sweeping the floor and the other on his phone. At such leisurely pace I'm not surprised it is goingto take them 5 months. Lovely up there, as opposed to Green Lanes...
Attachments:

3pm is most probably smoko time.

I sat in Snuff at the weekend and counted all the cars with a single occupant, and this wasn't commuters on a weekday, it was about 5-1. So not only were those five out of every six drivers not getting value for money out of their journey, if they had not been in their cars at all but had been using a bus or the tube (something they could obviously afford) then there would be no traffic problem.

Again, I draw your attention to the imminent demise of private car ownership and the internal combustion engine with all it's foul emissions:

Uber's drive to replace private car ownership

Google & self driving lorries on UK roads.

Audi/VW

Can't wait.

Someone criticizing Ford Motor Company's strategy for dealing with the coming disruption (batteries, autonomous vehicles, smart phones), here.

Think the main work is happening under the bridge Chris.  They were certainly squirrelling away when I walked over the temporary footbridge at 8:45 this morning. 

I was down at the Williamson Road/Arena junction at about 3pm.  Absolute morons were driving into the box junction without the exit road being clear so when the lights changed nothing could get out of the Arena.  This went on for the 15 minutes I sat on the wall at McDonalds until it all got too much and I left.

If someone from Haringey is reading this can the PLEASE put up big signs saying that box junction infringements are being caught on CCTV and offenders will be fined/whipped/made to wear a shell suit/anything.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service