Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Dear HoL members,

We face a another application for a gambling licence for an establishment on Green Lanes. That's seven gambling outlets along a small stretch of Green lanes. Under the current Gambling Act 2005 there's no reason why we won't end up with more.

David Lammy MP is also against this number of gambling outlets within our community. He has sent in his objections to this latest application here. To push the case for change within Parliament Mr Lammy needs as many letters from us as possible.

You are welcome to copy the letter below or write your own. Please either;

(a) email: mail@davidlammy.co.uk [suggest 'Gambling Green Lanes' for a subject heading], or
(b) write to: David Lammy MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Here's the letter;

Your Address
Date

Rt. Hon. David Lammy, MP
House of Commons
London SW1 OAA

Dear David Lammy,

I am writing to express my concern that Harringay is facing its seventh Gambling Licence application for Green Lanes. Our area is fast turning into a gambling strip with a concentration of so many betting shops within a small area. I would like to express my strong opposition to this and am seeking your help here to stop this blight on Grand Parade.

I would like to ask what actions you intend to take as our local MP about this serious issue. Clearly there needs to be a change in the law as at present gambling operators seem to be able to establish themselves so easily within our community. This is unacceptable and we really need you to act decisively.

In the past, you have indicated that you oppose the spread of gambling establishments and would work towards bringing this to an end. We are relying on you as we realise that there are very few ways that a community or individual can oppose an application for a gambling licence. Previous community based campaigns, even with media support, have failed. I believe the increased number of these gambling establishments has changed the character of our high street for the worse. The arguments against these gambling establishments are well known;

• Attract serious crime
• Links to petty crime
• Addiction of gambling
• Bad impression given to young people
• Taking away choice for our community for essential local shopping by pricing out other businesses for leases

The current law gives my community little chance to oppose on these grounds. This must change.

We would like to see from you a clear plan of action to work with other MPs and officials within parliament to move for a change in the current law overseeing gambling establishments. We would like to see significant progress before April 2010.

Yours sincerely

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut and paste the letter above into your email or see word.doc attached below for posting.

Please let us know here if you email/write in.

Thank you

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling

Views: 340

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sent my letter via email. Took 20 seconds :)
Yep, technology has its uses! just doing mine.
I take it that this is the letter that Ruth and you drafted Matt, that Ruth refers to here?

Well done both of you. Good job. I've sent a slightly amended version.

BTW, the LCSP say there are "9 betting establishments on a very short stretch of Green Lanes"
Yes. Although a wasted effort if few people uitlize it!
Done! Thanks for compiling the letter.
cheers Hugh. Tweeting around is a good idea. Local democracy in action! I think we can cause a stir.
Site Admin here doing our bit too. Just tweeted to see if we can't connect with other folks around the UK on some sort of national campaign. Let's see if anything comes back in.
E-mail dispatched. With a pithy P.S.
Just sent mine.
Done!
Have submitted this as a campaign idea to 38 Degrees - though not sure how interested they'll be - and have also asked Dave Morris of the Haringey Federation of Residents' Assocs to circulate your letter.
Thanks Hugh and great to see mail out. Over to members!

This from Claudine (over at the other discussion);

It only takes a few seconds to copy, paste and press send to David Lammy. I received a receipt immediately. Please just send the frigging letter. I'm sick to death of walking in the street around a load of bloakes hanging outside the vrious betting shops and clubs.

Pass it on...........

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service