Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello

At the start of the pandemic, the council realised that some pavements were too narrow to allow proper social distancing, so it asked for suggestions for temporary widening. The stretch of Endymion Road leading up to the vehicle entrance of Finsbury Park was one such area identified (and the council has now applied for this temporary measure to be made permanent: https://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/travel/transpo...). Shortly afterwards, temporary barriers appeared, meaning that it was possible to encounter families going in the opposite direction while maintaining a 2m gap. All good, then...

Except in recent weeks, renegade cyclists have begun to move the first barrier so they can cycle up the widened pavement. I keep closing the gap (as does at least one other pedestrian), but it keeps mysteriously opening up again. 

So two things: if you're the cyclist who keeps removing the barriers, please don't. That space is designated for pedestrians, and as cases of coronavirus spiral out of control again, then it is important we are allowed to maintain our distance without having to walk into the road, especially as many of us are walking along that section of road on the way to the park with our children.

Second, does anybody have a contact at the council so I can take this up with them, please? Something more difficult to move might make the desired difference.

Thanks.

Views: 1753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In more cynical moments I think that councils have gleefully put these in to stop cyclists filtering past stationary traffic. In my commute down Bishopsgate I can no longer pass a long row of stationary busses because the pavements have been widened to allow exactly the width of a bus/lorry on the road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service