Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've had a bit of a search and couldn't find concrete recommendations on this so hence a new post.

Having not really cycled since I was a child I am now planning on buying a bike and cycling to work from the top of the ladder to near King's Cross. I think I've worked out most of my route but can't decide which will be safer for me in each direction near home: Green Lanes or Wightman Road. In my head it seems that heading in to work (south) going down Green Lanes would make sense (avoiding all the side streets on Wightman and coming home (north) I might be better off on Wightman for the same reason. Does this make sense or as a novice am I missing something?

Tags for Forum Posts: cycling

Views: 1025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cycling is as much about confidence in your own abilities as anything else. If you have not cycled for a while then you are smart to try to pick an easier route.

As to Wightman vs Green Lanes. I would chose GL any time. Wightman tends to be narrow. With folks racing between bumps, trying to navigate parked cars, oncoming traffic, obstacles in the middle of the road etc I think it is a bit risky if I am honest and have had a few close calls. GL (while possibly faster moving at times (up near Manor House for example)) tends to allow you more room, so traffic tends not to be passing you so close by.

Hope that helps.

For all the reasons Justin has pointed out I would avoid Wightman Road as a cyclist.  Many a time I have see cars and lorries trying to squeeze through the numerous traffic islands that narrow the road at the same time as a cyclist! During my time as local councillor for Harringay I spent a lot of time and effort trying to make Wightman Road better for residents and cyclists alike by campaigning with local residents to get the road made 20mph and getting a camera to catch HGVs who illegal use it.  If the council can rid the road of HGVs it would benefit not only Wightman but all the ladder roads as well.

I learnt to ride only two years ago, and work in the city, commuting from Pemberton.  I always go into work via Wightman (walking my bike up to the end, cos it's a one-way street) and then go through the park to Manor House (because this cuts out a big long hill!) to rejoin Green Lanes there, although you might want to go down towards FP station if you're going to King's Cross, of course.  On the way back, I usually use Green Lanes and then turn up Mattison (one way again), then walk through the passage and home.

The worst part, in my experience, about Wightman Road is the mini-roundabout at the southern end, as cars travelling east along Endymion Road barely slow down for it and it can be difficult to get out.  Very rarely, I've had an issue with a car edging out of a side road without looking properly, but otherwise I've not really had any issues.  Green Lanes northbound has terrible potholes between Endymion and Umfreville in particular (which I've reported, but I've also learnt where they are now!)

I prefer Wightman to GL, even though Justin's right about the obstacles and closer traffic, because there aren't any buses.

Osbawn's suggestion of Stroud Green's quieter streets is a good one as long as you don't mind hills (you may have gathered that I'm not a big fan!)

If you've not cycled since you were a kid I strongly recommend you get some on-road training to keep yourself safe. It's free too: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/travel/c...

For what it's worth, without knowing exactly where you are, I would ride through Finsbury Park, then follow the quiet route past the Arsenal stadium then through Barnsbury (Barnsbury Rd, Penton St, etc.). That gets you close to Kings X. Re: GL or Wightman, they can both be quite unpleasant. I prefer to ride over the Stroud Green hills to avoid the worst of the traffic, but lots more people use GL. Maybe try out a few routes to see what you like best - busy and direct, or quiet and fiddly!

Your post does highlight the utter lack of decent cycling facilities in Haringey - there are literally no decent north/south cycle routes through the borough. It's very noticeable once you cross the border into Islington that they are years ahead of Haringey, even though Islington is hardly a cycling nirvana. At least once you get in to Islington there are reasonably useable quiet routes, the best parts of which are blocked to through motor traffic.

Hope it works out for you. Cycling for transport really is does change your life for the better - win-win of the health benefits and more money in your pocket!

That's a tricky one. It partly depends what you will do at when you get to the end of Wightman/Green Lanes - I cycle through Finsbury Park so for me it makes more sense to use Wightman Rd (both ways) than GL - so that is the route I take. I agree with what others have said though, esp re traffic islands and that little roundabout at the Endymion junction (the key there is how you position yourself for the turn) - these things in my view are more bother than the side roads (these are a major concern on Green Lanes however). You could avoid a bit of this by going over the railway bridge at Harringay but you'd need to feel the huffing and puffing was worth the detour (I'm always in too much of a hurry) and you'd still have to cycle along a fair stretch of Wightman (if by top of the ladder you mean the Turnpike Rd end).

Good luck. If you've not cycled on the roads for a while I'd really recommend seeing if Haringey still do their discounted cycle training or going out with a cylist friend, to build up your confidence and get some experience. But don't let any of this put you off - it's a great way to get to work.

1) You might get useful advice at this event, 15 June.

2) TfL will, they say, send you cycle route maps if you fill in this form. Map 14 covers Ladder to Kings Cross on one side of the unfolded map. Alternatively, the Sustrans website has a zoomable map though it isn't as detailed.

3) You 'haven't really cycled since a child':  I'd reiterate Grant's comment about training - for orientation and road safety perception it would be extremely valuable.

As stated above, it does help to be confident, so I take the primary position when cycling on Wightman road - no chance for a car to overtake at a pinch point unless they want to drive over the top of me.  I use Green lanes and Seven Sisters Road / Camden road Regents Park to get to work.  You would (possibly) turn off Camden road and up Cali to get to Kings Cross.  As a fairly experienced cyclist I find Green lanes and Seven Sisters Road adequate but definitley agree with the advice that you should take quiter routes till you build up your confidence.  That's what I did, and 5 years on I wish I'd started a long time ago.  Its the best way to get to work - beats public transport hands down - you'll love it.

Hey - commute twins! Except I come from further up Seven Sisters. The Regents Park road is a great little daily treat. 

Another +1 for cycle training. Sadly a lot of "typical" cycling is pretty awful in terms of road skills (gutter hugging, riding in the door zone, filtering into the unknown...) so learning by example isn't a great strategy.

And - because someone always has to use the H word - 

I'm not going to tell you not to wear a helmet - that's entirely down to your own risk assessment. What I will say is that because wearing a bike helmet is such a visible safety measure it has become somewhat over-emphasised vs the benefit it gives. A helmet may marginally improve your safety but there are a lot  of things - like cycle training - that make far more difference. So make sure you do those things first even though all anyone ever asks is whether you wear a helmet ;)

Hello there, 

We're pleased to see lots of people making suggestions. Definitely echo Grant's comments, and would also suggest ordering some free cycle guides (Number 14 will be the one you want for now - order a few copies so you can draw on it, cut it up etc!) https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx

In the London Cycling Campaign pre Space for Cycling campaign survey, many residents in Haringey marked both Wightman Road and Green Lanes as being barriers to cycling, and unpleasant - have a look at the results here: http://www.haringeycyclists.org/2014/01/25/space-for-cycling-survey... Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, Green Lanes improvements have created no safe space for cycling.. 

Good luck! 

Wow, I'm blown away by so many responses of all the people prepared to help me - thank you all! What an amazing endorsement for the community this site supports!

I'll definitely look into getting some guidance on cycling again and I'm planning on practicing at the weekend before I start in ernest at rush hour.

My onward route I had planned is exactly as you suggest Grant  so it's great to have an endorsement for it - Sustrans recommends it and it looks far better as you say in Islington than here.

From the advice I think I will go with Green Lanes and at the beginning hop off and push if I feel uncomfortable, maybe get off at the Sainsbury's junction push it across at the lights and go up Lothair and Tancred and get in to the park from there rather than risk Endymion big junctions. Might not be as fast but will get me there.

This is definitely the long term plan - combine a better commute with exercise and save some money in the process!

Dear Pechster

You don't need to get off at the Salisbury to reach the park. Just cycle past Sainsburys and up the hill and then stop at the crossing by the New River. When the green man arrives you can walk across into the park and then turn left, following the path all the way round to the bottom of the park near the station.

To get to King's Cross I then cycle down Seven Sisters Road which becomes Tollington Way; this then leads over Nag's Head junction to Caledonian Road (left turn) which is the quickest route, by far, to King's Cross. It also has a dedicated, and wide, cycle lane all the way up to Caledonian Road tube; after that the road is nice and wide anyway with lots of room.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service