Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure, wightman road

Views: 3222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have it in writing from the Council that Wightman Road will definitely reopen as soon as the bridge reopens. No plans have even been put forward to do otherwise.

Hence the need to support the first objective of the Living Wightman campaign i.e. extend the closure until the conclusion of the Green Lanes Area Transport Study

Strange because I saw three during that time when I left our property. I experience it daily and there are still lots who do.

Micheal Anderson three today in the few minutes of dropping of my granddaughter.... rather peeved by your comment! 

Sorry if that's the case, it certainly wasn't my intention.
There seems to be a feeling amongst some posters that the sign need not be obeyed because it isn't "legal" in some way What I was trying to get across is that the great majority of cyclist do dismount, perhaps because they can put themselves in the shoes of pedestrians or think it is simply the right thing to do, without the need to dispute the legality of signs

Because they're fooled into thinking it's legal? You don't find the wording offensive? You don't find it aggressive? You don't find the lack of "please" rude? If there is legal force behind it then by all means be rude/succinct but guidance is that we can cycle there if we're careful and give pedestrians right of way.

Try including yourself in the group "cyclists" and see how that rude, legally unenforceable sign makes you feel. Any cyclists unaffected by it are obviously less sensitive than me, or less thoughtful. I do know cyclists that won't use Wightman because of the bridge and the sign. It represents something more than just an instruction from some self appointed numpty the contractor doing the work.

It's really frustrating the way some of the more "easily frightened" people on here point the finger at cyclists. I didn't bring this bridge up and the post is titled "Living Wightman". Do you not see that there is no living Wightman without cyclists too?

John, I must say I don't really understand what tree you're barking up here and why. Your point is just silly really.

I think we can all see the sense in the dismount request/demand. I don't know if it's legal, but since it makes sense for safety's sake, I think most people would agree it should be obeyed. If it said Cyclists Sing the Marseillaise and Put a Finger in your Ear whilst Crossing the Bridge, we might all have sympathy for the cyclist who ignores it (and it would also be a jolly big sign!).

As to the wording being offensive, I'm assuming that you're having a quiet reefer in some petit coin in the City. I'd be no more offended by a Cyclists Dismount sign that failed to add please than one that said Stop or 20 or Turn Left omitting the pretty p word. We all manage to retain our dignity obeying these signs even in the absence of please

So PLEASE move on to something that's worth arguing about. 

Pedestrians have been killed by collisions with cyclists as well. We are talking about cycling over a footbridge, what do accidents involving motor vehicles have to do with this?

Have we had motorists driving across the footbridge ?

If not, I don't see the relevance

Cycling and walking are very noble activities, let's keep it cordial, and encourage good practice where we can.

Thank you very much... I have been having to stay indoors as much as possible while dealing with my health and disability..I am on a huge amount of steroids and it is so hard to stay calm after such a long time of abuse... I began being polite but being ignored and treated with arrogance and abuse has left me inconsolable at times... it is to distressing... it is not pleasant reacting as I did... beyond upsetting... I am trying to heal and need to be in a calm space and facing this every day is awful...It has made our life hell.

It fills me with sadness that the discussion here is dominated by derision and aggression, when I assume we all agree that respect and consideration should govern our interaction - online, on bicycles, in cars or on two feet. Respect, consideration and a readiness to listen (even if we don't all agree on how traffic should be managed on our poor, abused, Wightman Road) was what I found at the bike breakfast this morning. I met neighbours I never talked to when the road was filled by car traffic and exhaust fumes. Fantastic initiative, please continue the campaign!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service