Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure, wightman road

Views: 3224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have replied above in your other comment why John and it goes both ways... I to have lost a dear cyclist friend.. he was killed by a lorry, I have also had a cyclist almost run over my grandaughter again at a crossing at a red light...and I have had cyclists scratch my car as they have been squeezing past in traffic.... both cyclists and car drivers need to be more considerate of each other.. both...and be more understanding of the needs of pedestrians....

What have any of those incidents got to do with cycling over a pedestrian footbridge?  It's about respect for other's needs not who is the most victimised

The sign is illegal. How insulting is that? Some fascist company put up an illegal sign and then you all bully the group you hatecyclists to comply.

Still got precisely zip to do with all those other incidents you mentioned.....I don't hate cyclists....it's you that hates cars

Would you also ignore the 'keep quiet' sign in a library as it's unenforceable?

I don't hate cyclists either... part of sustainable haringey... would cycle when and if I could... all for it actually, have a chronic lung condition.. I more than most am aware of the toxic air...encourage my children to cycle...environmentally conscious... just ask for respect and understanding along the bridge that is so close to peoples homes and vulnerable ones at that and a direct link to park for families and children... 

Gilly, I respect your arguments and sympathise with your experiences. Cyclists shouldn't behave like that and the majority don't. I do hope you didn't see the bike breakfast as an insult or that any iill feeling has been directed to you. We are all local residents only looking to achieve a healthier community with the interests of people and residents taking precedence over commuting through traffic. Hope the doctor visit was ok.

Penny thanks for you respect and sympathy and yes thankfully it helps that many cyclists do respect the situation and I verbally thank as many as I can who walk through. However there are enough who taint this and are still making our life hell. It has not been at all pleasant for us this experience and I would sadly have the rd back to normal and even struggle as we usually do to get out of our close because of the backlog of traffic than deal with the abuse we have had from those that have blatantly ignored and abused our requests. I just want it back to normal to be honest. I am not healthy like you guys and sometimes depend on a car... this situation is only helping cyclists... the rest of us are having a very rough deal... most stressful... and we have the bridge and the insults lumped on top... it has actually contributed to the further decline of my health in truth, so much so that some days I cannot cope leaving the house in case I am triggered and on days when I have no choice have to cope with the effects. It was upsetting having the bike breakfast outside yes though I didn't see it as an insult although it became so when I explained the situation and that cyclist went straight on to ride through... very upsetting...

I cycle along the road to and from work daily and it is apparent that the bridge is much too small to have both pedestrians and riding cyclists at the same time. To me whether the sign is legal/illegal/unenforcable is secondary to the safety of those using it. For the, literally, two minutes it takes to cross the bridge by pushing the bike across, it seems very worth it to ensure everyone is safe.

Most days I see different cyclists taking two or three times the time by insisting of cycling through the barriers both delaying everyone and causing a danger to others, which has always baffled me till now.

I was at the entrance to the footbridge this morning from just after 7am until 9:30 and saw only one cyclist, out of a few hundred, not dismounting before cycling over so it seems to me the great majority of cyclists see the sense of this and do it.

Very good to hear Michael. Very positive initiative. Thanks for taking part.

Did Joanne think there was any chance of closing a road like Wightman permanently or, is this just pie in sky stuff (or maybe it wasn't discussed)?

I didn't manage to talk to Joanne I'm afraid.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service