Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council is urging residents to give their views on plans for a second Crossrail route that could transform the borough’s transport links.

Transport for London and National Rail today (May 14) launched a consultation on Crossrail 2 – a proposed high-capacity rail line to link north east and south east London.

Crossrail 2, which is supported by the council, the Mayor of London and not-for-profit business group London First, would provide faster trains into the capital for Haringey’s growing population and bolster regeneration work across the borough.

Two possible routes have been identified – an underground ‘metro’ option from Wimbledon to Alexandra Palace, and a ‘regional’ option that would link to more National Rail stations and extend north into Hertfordshire. 

Haringey Council is asking residents to support the ‘regional’ option, as they say that it would create two new rail branches to Alexandra Palace and Tottenham, offering new routes through the borough that would boost trade and tourism.

The ‘metro’ option, they explain, would use smaller trains, provide just one route to the east of the borough and not offer a direct link to a regenerated Tottenham and the rest of the Lee Valley.

Haringey Council Leader Claire Kober said “Crossrail 2 would transform travel for local residents to south-west London and beyond, and I urge them to make their voices heard through this consultation and send a clear message that this is the right route for Haringey.”

The consultation runs until August 2.

For more information and to take part, visit www.crossrail2.co.uk, email crossrail2@tfl.gov.uk or call 0343 222 1234.

Tags for Forum Posts: crossrail, crossrail 2, public transport

Views: 1705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not clear Hugh. If the Regional option (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/27551.aspx) is chosen, does that mean that the route from Angel to Turnpike Lane etc will be retained, and the additional spur through Tottenham Hale will be in addition. I think this is the case... Or, will it replace the Turnpike Lane route?

Shrugs shoulders, exits stage right.

Yes, the regional route has two branches, one which takes over (or rather, supplements) the existing East Anglia Line via Tottenham Hale, the other terminating at Ally Pally via Turnpike Lane. 

The latter is critical, as it relieves the East Coast Mainline and the Piccadilly Line north of Finsbury Park, reducing overcrowding there.

I would think that it would relieve overcrowding south of Finsbury Park too! Surely the idea is to take people who would say get on at Turnpike Lane and be wanting to continue on past King's Cross, off the Piccadilly Line and make room for people using Caledonian Rd (try getting on there at 8:05).

That's a given, but the key gain is removing people from the Pic/Vic/and especially National Rail who would otherwise interchange at Finsbury Park, which is frankly not fit for purpose in its current form.

More info in my article here, and a detailed discussion on the merits of the Ally Pally branch can be found in the comments: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/the-past-and-future-of-fins...

I think when considering the merits of the Crossrail proposals for us as residents either side of Turnpike Lane we need to be thinking of the coming population pressure from the Heartlands development which will see over 1000 homes being built between Turnpike Ln and Ally Pally. I can't see how the road infrastructure (present or proposed) will ever accommodate what we will face and the METRO option will probably be our best bet of relieving pressure on an already strained transport system.

How would the metro scheme be less effective in doing that than the regional scheme?  The metro scheme can handle 38,500 passengers an hour.  The regional scheme can handle 45,000.

Also (and though they are no longer making it clear on their maps) the regional scheme would have much longer trains (the platforms would be twice as long), so more possibilites for double-ended stations (for instance, one with entrances at Ally Pally and Wood Green, or a Turnpike Lane station with an entrance quite far further down Green Lanes)

First line should have read more effective, not less. Sorry.

Agree it's badly worded.  I strongly agreed to Metro and agreed to Regional.  With the perhaps naive view that if both (regional) is too costly they might prioritise the Metro?  I also wondered why they chose Angel for the regional connection as there is more infrastructure (Overground) at Dalston?  But then I'm not a Transport Planner :o/

Sadly no, the metro couldn't be linked to a regional scheme later, as it would be of a different gauge and rolling stock size.

U see  - badly worded consultation.  I've messed that up then!

Oh, and to answer your Angel/Dalston question: One reason is that its difficult to have part of Crossrail 2 running between Dalston & Hackney because High Speed 1 already runs below the overground tracks so it creates engineering difficulties.  Easier to split at Angel.

I do hope that the Angel station is actually double-ended, with an entrance at Essex Road (as per the Euston-StPancras CR2 plan and various CR1 stations).  Essex Road used to be included in the old Chelsey-Hackney line plans, and the area is somewhat neglected at the moment.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service