Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Budgens Stalls4All Co-ordinator has this evening circulated the following text in an email.

Stall4All outside Thornton's Budgens in Crouch End has been shut down by a Haringey council officer last Thursday the 7th of June on the grounds that our stalls needed to be licensed. When enquiring how I could go on about getting a license I was told we couldn't apply for one as the space (Budgens' own private space) in question is not considered a designated trading area.

This is extremely upsetting and frustrating for the stall holders we have been supporting for a whole year at a time of economic uncertainty. Stall4All is a not for profit organisation which has been supporting local residents in going back to work by providing them with a space to showcase and sell their work. In addition, we have been supporting local charities and community events such as the Crouch End Festival where children built their versions of the supermarket and the stalls outside, displayed at the library. Funnily enough, we have recently had an enquire from a council department to hire one of the stalls to help promote their services. How ironic, to say the least! Well, we will have to decline their application.

A big slice of our stalls' income goes to Pennies for Plastic which has been helping several charities in the area. By stopping us trading, the council is stopping money going to these causes which is just very unfortunate (and wrong).

We have been using the stalls for a year and I don't understand why they have caused a problem now and with no chance to sort it at all, even though we immediately ceased trading when told to and were willing to pay for a license to trade in our own pavement. I feel that my hands are tied and that I am letting down a lot of locals. Is there any way out of this situation?

I have copied a few media contacts into this email. I can only hope someone will see how unfair the situation is and make it public.

Thank you for reading.

Tags for Forum Posts: budgens, crouch end

Views: 2996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good news! We have heard back from the council and it appears that we may be able to sort something out temporarily. A million thank yous to everyone that supported Stall4All!!

With so many eyes on this prize, if you can get back in business, might be worth highlighting here what's on sale @ Stall4All and when - with links to any websites...

Maybe the Council would like to make a payment to the stallholders for the stress and loss of profits they caused?

I usually tweet about what's going to be there. @stall4all

We also have a FB page https://www.facebook.com/stall4all and a calendar on the website http://www.thorntonsbudgens.com/stall4all.

You can also talk to me via stall4all@gmail.com, I'm usually quite quick at replying!!

Thank you once again, I can't say it enough! :)

Glad HoL could help you get the profile you needed to be heard!

Thank you a million times Hugh. What you did was and is priceless and the reason we were heard!!

Ana thank you for your intelligent actions, efforts and hard work over this matter. Getting Harringey to possibly shift so quickly is no easy task and you acted as the catalyst. Well done 

Thank you so much Hugh for your all your support for Stall4all. It sounds positive, we may be back trading soon. Please do say hello if your passing by stall4all. PolyE Designs.

Stall seemed to be open and in operation today selling fruit.

Hi John

There is usually a stall outside displaying fruit that belongs to budgens, if it is this stall it is not part of stall4all provided by budgens which is hired by local crafters, producers, charities etc. 

I see. Thanks

I love the Stalls4All and feel it benefits the local community. It gives consumers a chance to try out new products like the bread in the picture from I believe The Honest Carrot? and gives producers the chance to showcase their products. What a pity that this red tape can't be cut. Hopefully, this will be sorted out. 

Well I think that Haringey Council could learn a positive lesson from this, would'nt it be great if they could see what a positive and community affirming effect such a project as this has and how it benefits both them and the community. I would like to see them taking on board the idea and expanding it. Why can't we have more stalls around the town hall in Crouch end run on the same basis.... would give a lovely villagey feel,  perhaps they could give Ana extra work:) I would also love to see this happening around Tottenham High Rd.... perhaps round the green outside Bernie Grants Arts centre.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service