Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Next week the  corporate committee of Haringey Council will make a decision on the Blackboy Lane issue.

According to the report prepared for the committee, the majority of Blackboy Lane residents would prefer no change, However, the report states that this option has been dismissed.

It also says that the option to consider another name is dismissed  - not because it's the right thing to do but simply because that wasn't what they said last time!

Below are the results of the second consultation along with the report's somewhat tortuous justification for dismissing the wishes of Blackboy Lane residents.

Of course, those of you who have been following this issue will have little faith in these consultation results. You will have leaned that the Council may have sought to swing the result the way it wanted by approaching select groups through the local Labour Party apparatus and asking them to reply to the consultation to support the name change.

So, there you go, no surprises here: that's how politics is done in Haringey these days.

For the record the author of this post has no objection to street renaming where the existing name clearly causes offence and where widespread support for the change can be proved.

Full text of the Blackboy Lane item in the Council report  available here.

Tags for Forum Posts: blackboy lane name change, review on monuments, building place and street names

Views: 5448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chestnuts Lane has a lovely green ring to it — and very appropriate given how parks have been such a lifeline over the past year. 

I think the Fire Brigade would say no to Chestnuts because it's too similar to Chesnut Road which is nearby. They have final sign off on all road names because the most important thing is that emergency services can reach an address!

How about going back to the name of the old Green at the junction of BBL and St Ann's Road and call the road Hanger's Green Lane?

It all comes down to clarity when the emergency services receive a panicked phone call.  Hanger Screen Lane?  Hanger Lane?  Green Lanes?

Yet we have Hewitt Road N8 and Hewitt Avenue N22

Blackbird Lane is another euphonious name that springs to mind. 

Old names, little that can be done.  New names are a different kettle of fish.
When I did the street naming and numbering job yonks ago a developer was insistent that his new development be called Camden something or other, to confuse people even more as there were half a dozen Camden Streets, Squares, Roads and so on close enough to chuck a brick at.  He got most indignant when I said no, threatened to take me to court and it was only a phone call from the wonderfully assertive woman at the London Fire Brigade, who checked over new names, that made him shut up.

Bow to your experience but still think my suggestion is worth a try if local people like it. 

It is something we managed to check out with LFB before going too far down that route. They rejected quite a lot of our long list. 

Sarah, I’d be interested to see the list, what LFB rejected and what is left. 

All local authorities abide by national best practice on street naming and numbering.  The link below is to the one Barnet use (the one on the Haringey website is spread over a number of pages and isn’t easy to read) and is pretty typical.  Punctuation, especially apostrophes, seem frowned upon! 

https://www.barnet.gov.uk/sites/default/files/naming_of_streets_and...

Yes this is the correct way to approach things.

However, we are not talking like with like. Ceil Rhodes house was a single building, that had the impact of one building address. We are still talking about over 180 registered addresses here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service