Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Next week the  corporate committee of Haringey Council will make a decision on the Blackboy Lane issue.

According to the report prepared for the committee, the majority of Blackboy Lane residents would prefer no change, However, the report states that this option has been dismissed.

It also says that the option to consider another name is dismissed  - not because it's the right thing to do but simply because that wasn't what they said last time!

Below are the results of the second consultation along with the report's somewhat tortuous justification for dismissing the wishes of Blackboy Lane residents.

Of course, those of you who have been following this issue will have little faith in these consultation results. You will have leaned that the Council may have sought to swing the result the way it wanted by approaching select groups through the local Labour Party apparatus and asking them to reply to the consultation to support the name change.

So, there you go, no surprises here: that's how politics is done in Haringey these days.

For the record the author of this post has no objection to street renaming where the existing name clearly causes offence and where widespread support for the change can be proved.

Full text of the Blackboy Lane item in the Council report  available here.

Tags for Forum Posts: blackboy lane name change, review on monuments, building place and street names

Views: 5450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan, Uncle Joe created division where none existed.

A win-win outcome here, as pointed out by many contributors, would be to leave the road as it is. That would save the residents of Black Boy Lane endless months of disruption and a bureaucratic nightmare, save several hundred thousand pounds from an already stretched budget that could then be spent on genuine priorities in Haringey and, most importantly, prevent young black men from thinking they are somehow problematic.

Black Lives Matter & the renaming of Black Boy Lane, are very import, BUT some councillors have put BLM into disrepute by stating items that are untrue, and aligning untrue information with BBL & aligning it with BLM..

This was an ‘open’ internet vote, we cannot be sure that all those who voted via the internet actually lived where they said they do. Also the info that went with it was biased and NOT all factual, so many of the votes from outside BBL cannot be relied on.

As per voting for the Labour Party or any other party in council elections. DO NOT BE STUPID. If you vote, Please find out about them all and vote for who seems to be the best to improve the area. Haringey Council have over the last 50 years have had many councillors elected who are extremely left wing, and are very good at wasting millions of pounds and making things better for a few and worse for the majority. Some do not even care about the Labour Party. But join as they have a great chance to get elected to a high position with all the free receptions, trips and other goodies that they will be offered.

Other parties may not be that better either....just look at how the entire country is falling for a "national Garden Bridge".

So I agree with you. Strip the emotional from your decisons and look at the person and what they stand for, their policies and actions as well their party affiliation.

ADDENDUM

“But can you ask yourself: what qualities do you actually want in a leader? Do you want someone who will challenge you to be better, or speak in catchphrases and not ask much of you?"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/03/jimmy-carter-climat...

Isn't hindsight such brilliant vision? You see...I was a wee child back then and we spoke of the big blue marble and saving the planet....and we thought we would go on to do so and that we could.

Sigh....!

<sighing back>
JJ - I think you and I may have some idea how the other ticks. So you know better than that:

"Thanks, Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,did I mention Leader?
As the Leader, says, Leader,Leader,Leader, Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader?
As the Leader, wishes, Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader, O the Leader yes the Leader?
Leader,Leader,Leader, Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,Leader,bow to the Leader?
No the Leader, Nod if you agree and always agree with the Leader,Leader,Leader, Leader?
Leader, Leader,Leader, onward highward skyward looking upward up at the LeaderLeader?

Wrong question leads to wrong answer. What do we want from a team? How can the team engage with listen to and learn from people like you and many others, JJ?

In search of "heroes in the seaweed?"
"...they will lean that way forever?"

Hi JJ B, I do not support any political party, I was just trying to make it clear that local council elections are not like National Elections. With council elections, there does seem to be more extremists who have joined the Labour Party as they know they are very likely to win. Many who have their own agenda and Haringey have over the last 50 years has had a number of extremists elected to senior positions who the Labour Head Office would never allow or support them to to run to become an M.P.. and yes all parties national and local these days have too many very good talkers/debaters who have as much logical intelligence as a brick. Just look at many parliamentary debates.

Infact in the 1960’s I joined the labour party to go to the Red Rose comedy club on the Seven Sisters Road & the labour party club in Wood Green where Bernie Grant was a regular, and often just went around the tables, sitting down to talk with us (teenagers) asking how we were and if we had any problems. He actually went out of his way to talk to anyone, and nothing to do elections. He was just a nice person.

Quite...No need to defend yourself. I was adding to your valid points. I added the quote becasue I read it just after and found it so relevant.

Now that more sensible heads have regained control of the Council I'm guessing the name change proposal will be quietly scrapped.

My inside source says that’s just what’s happened. 

That will be a relief for many people. Look forward to seeing the street signs replaced.

And hello again everyone! I have actually seen an email (snippet/screenshot) confirming the replacement signs being ordered and due to be back put up within 4 weeks. That was about a month ago, so they should be back up soon. I still feel like I don’t want to jinx it but it is an encouraging sign the whole thing is put to rest for the moment. And if the issue comes back again, I think it will have more chance to be approached fairly, inclusively and to get the residents on board from the start.

That was a stressful process but I have to say I have met some pretty great people along the way. Still, never again please! 

This thread became far and away the most commented on thread in HoL’s fourteen years. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service