Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council seems intent on closing more of Wightman Road than necessary to prevent an increase in traffic on the ladder roads which sounds laudable (providing you live on a ladder road.)

If traffic can no longer go down Wightman Road, it will have to find an alternative route like Turnpike Lane or Green Lanes. This will significantly increase the traffic on those roads and cause more congestion which could be relieved if the ladder roads were open to traffic.

If my local main road was closed, I should expect more traffic to come down my residential road temporarily and why not?

Poorly thought out road works have played havoc with both public and private transport largely due to poorly thought out arrangements pandering to nimbyism.

Surely it would be best to simply close the smallest section of Wightman Road possible which would be one ladder road north and south of the bridge?

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3336

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

There was a right turn filter light working perfectly fine there this evening round 7.15pm..?

by the way patrick, which road do you live on? what level of traffic do you have to live with day to day?

I live on Farrer Road.   Yes there is some rat running cutting the junction and I do not mind that much.

There are two problems on this road.

Quite often traffic travels a bit too fast because the road has a bend.

I also often find it increasingly difficult to park but I recognise other people have a right to park too.  Some residents on this road take a pretty dim view of any non-residents parking on the road and I find that a little bit too hostile for my taste. The fact is some houses have teenagers with their own car so a 3 car house is not unusual - and that eats up a lot of parking space as does people building their own drives.  Parking round here could trigger world war 3.

It's amazing Patrick is see how many members have joined this site recently (and older members who don't normally contribute) to talk about car travelling. Must be an emotive topic. 

Same all over the world. Mexico city bans ALL car journeys one day a week http://gu.com/p/4txkn

count one for an old person here... i feel at least 750 as kids on hols!

Ah, the farrer road which is closed at one end to through traffic. that one. that you can only enter from one side. so that there is less traffic which can use it as a cut through. I see.   I joke but I know it is a cut through route. deadly to cyclists as yes the cars do storm down there. 

As someone on the ladder I don't think this closer is good even for those on the ladder, my street is a nightmare to get out of now

I am sure it is not good for many people.

Another interesting point is it should be possible to construct a bridge in much less time.

? James Hawtin are you seriously kidding me. we live in the same road. is there something different about the way you are going out of the road- no waiting to exit the road, and then there is hardly any traffic on Frobisher & no queues at the lights by Dogtas. By the end of the week hopefully there will also be (fingers crossed) even a sign to point out the road is closed- even without it's been fine & I genuinely can't understand how it can have been a problem for you apart from yesterday in the great 'burst water main' crisis. 

Well you see I was not driving the same way as you! I need to drive towards Muswell hill, so I need to drive up Lausanne, done, Frobisher, willoughby Road, then crawelled up turnpike lane. All in all that took me 20 minutes to do what used to take me 5. Also I had wanted to go to the dump on my drive to work as however there is no right turn.  So would have had to do a huge detour along wood green highroad, and double back which I didn't have time for. I just don't understand the reason for closing all these road in the north end of the ladder. We will see next week when the schools are back, to get to north haringey by car they all need to come up lausanne road now. What time were you travelling? 

You don't see the reason why the whole ladder was closed? Ah, I see the confusion. We'll take the Wightman Rd Bridge complete closure as a given and then we'll allow traffic to filter up from Green Lanes onto the ladder via, Umfreville? Oh that seems a bit unfair to people on Umfreville. What about Cavendish? Then again, I have friends on there and they wouldn't appreciate 60,000 car journeys more up their street for 6 months. Mattison? That already has lots of HGV traffic so why don't we pick them? There's a school there but the children need to learn to stay off the roads anyway, it's a small price to pay to have some of them killed by motor vehicles if they stray off the foot path isn't it?

Well I'm being ridiculous but I hope you see my point. If we could equitably distribute traffic over the ladder then we would accept that but what happens is it all goes up or down the one street. Before the no-right-hand-turn on Hewitt most of the traffic avoiding the Gardens but trying to head east used that road. Now they use Beresford.

Do you understand that the only option, if you want to be fair, is to close the whole road?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service