Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Previously, green mixed recycling bins were collected every week but this has now changed and collection depends on fullness of the bin.

I spoke to the guys on the lorry today and they confirmed that bins will not be emptied unless it's over 50%-75% full. Not sure if this applies to black bins too.

I guess it makes sense but worth knowing if, like me, you're wondering why your bin is being taken regularly.

Views: 1254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Adam 

this is not the case,   The crews should be emptying bins no matter how full/empty it is.

regards

Maybe, John but this is the policy on the ground and has been for a while.

I suppose one way of finding out would be to call Veolia and report a missed collection. You could check policy with them at the same time. 

PS I've just called Veolia. This is not official policy. So any half full bins that aren't collected should have been and you can ask for a missed collection at 020 8885 7700.

Thanks Hugh, I've done that loads of times in the past but it's a pain to have to do that every week with the results of a very moody bin team.

Hi Adam

report the road you live on to Veolia,  they will address this with the crew

Have done - though obviously now expecting to be blocked from ever getting my rubbish collected again.

Lucky we don't live in Naples Adam!

I used to work in Environment Services (for a different council that also has a Veolia contract) and now work in Housing, where I still get to hear complaints about bin collections! It is definitely unofficial collection crew policy to only empty bins if they are over half full. Of course then someone has a party and presents an overflowing bin that the crew then won't empty at all on health and safety grounds...

A little off topic but...

One of the clients who stayed at the Cranwood building at Muswell Hill (when it was a homeless shelter from 2019 to 2021) was employed on a refuse truck team in Haringey. 

He worked for an agency and paid by the hour, others on the team were on a fixed wage no matter how many hours they work. 

My client had to run, not walk, after the truck throwing the rubbish into the truck as it moved relatively quickly through the streets. 

The deal is, that they can knock off work when the round was finished. Good for the employees on fixed contracts but not so good for agency workers. But hey, competition is a good thing. Isn't it? 

Who got paid the most the agency staff or the people on a fixed wage?

The agency staff got paid less because they did less hours that they should have. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service