Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Beautiful mature street tree in Cavendish Road scheduled for removal -- help!

Coming home from yoga tonight, I noticed, with shock, that the beautiful tree outside no. 42 is scheduled for removal.It's the usual: the tree is healthy, but there is, it seems, an insurance issue.  On the sign around the tree, it says that it "has been implicated in damage to an adjacent property". And that "works will commence shortly". No 42 is up for sale, so I imagine this is how this has come up.

I feel devastated by this. I can't let this happen. My younger daughter is in tears. The tree has been there since when we moved into the house opposite, when she was born, and has been an important presence for all of us ever since.

Is the nicest remaining street tree on Cavendish Road (a tall tree was removed not long ago near the top of Cavendish Road, and the site has been paved over, so I think there are no plans to replace it), and tends to be full of birds and birds' nests (though less so this year, as it has been pruned recently).

I've written to the planning department, but I'm not sure how much that is going to help in the face of an insurance company. 

I'm happy to do pretty much whatever it takes to stop this -- any help, advice or support is appreciated.

Tags for Forum Posts: cavendish road, cavendish tree, insurance, protection, tree removal, trees

Views: 2222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go warrior!

Oh, and the petition on the Haringey website has gone live today, too. I may put this up as an extra thread in a minute, do you think?

As you wish.

Well done Maren for taking this on and managing to do so much in such a short period of time. I've signed the petition.

One thing that has always struck me is the difference between the volume and size of the trees in Stroud Green and Crouch End vs those here. Think of the trees on Stapleton Hall Rd - large plane trees I think, pollarded each year. Why don't these insurance-led tree removals happen there? Is it just a case of the distance between the houses and the trees being greater there (must be a foot or so difference surely)?

Thank you! And yes, I've been wondering about this, too. A friend and I were talking just this morning about how, across the railway line, there seems to be an admirable pruning scheme in place. -- But so far the council response has been so encouraging, that I wonder if there may not be scope for some gentle improvement. One tree at a time...

So whathe has the Council said?

Ah yes, sorry. They said they were going to hold off from removing it until they had looked at possible alternatives. That sounded reasonable to me. I completely see that there are different perspectives to be taken into account, but I believe that ways can and should be found in which we can coexist with mature trees rather than chopping them down.

Re. Stapleton Hall Road. Several trees have been removed over the years, one only last year. In the stretch from Elyne Road to Mount View, on the western side, a lot of the houses have suffered badly with subsidence and have been underpinned, including mine. I wish the trees were trimmed each year; in fact (the last I heard) they are supposed to be on a three-yearly pruning cycle. Originally (pre 1980s) they came each year to prune every other tree. If this had continued, and the trees had been kept to a sensible height, I don't doubt that more of them would have survived and those which remain would be less at risk (and the buildings less at risk of subsidence also).

Ah -- and I always thought those on your side of the track looked so well looked after! "My" tree, though, has been pruned quite severely only recently. I can't remember what the pruning cycle has been over the years, but I'm sure this is something that would benefit from keeping an eye on.

The Council's Aboriculturalists organise to go round the borough in swathes maintaining street trees. The maintenance schedule (PDF files) is on this page- here below I've copied the latest ones - pretty much every street is in there somewhere, so it's possible to discover from them when yours is next due for some TLC:

Street tree maintenance programme 2016-17 (summer works)

Street tree maintenance programme 2016-17 (winter works)

Street tree maintenance programme 2017-18 (summer works)

Street tree maintenance programme 2017-18 (winter works)

Read more about London's (and Haringey's) street trees here.

PS: Maren, if you haven't previously heard of it, you may be interested to have a look through the Treeconomics website. They work with community groups, research organisations, public bodies and private business to complete projects which highlight the value of trees. I'm attaching a copy of a study they published in 2015 on London's Street trees.

Attachments:

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service