Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Beautiful mature street tree in Cavendish Road scheduled for removal -- help!

Coming home from yoga tonight, I noticed, with shock, that the beautiful tree outside no. 42 is scheduled for removal.It's the usual: the tree is healthy, but there is, it seems, an insurance issue.  On the sign around the tree, it says that it "has been implicated in damage to an adjacent property". And that "works will commence shortly". No 42 is up for sale, so I imagine this is how this has come up.

I feel devastated by this. I can't let this happen. My younger daughter is in tears. The tree has been there since when we moved into the house opposite, when she was born, and has been an important presence for all of us ever since.

Is the nicest remaining street tree on Cavendish Road (a tall tree was removed not long ago near the top of Cavendish Road, and the site has been paved over, so I think there are no plans to replace it), and tends to be full of birds and birds' nests (though less so this year, as it has been pruned recently).

I've written to the planning department, but I'm not sure how much that is going to help in the face of an insurance company. 

I'm happy to do pretty much whatever it takes to stop this -- any help, advice or support is appreciated.

Tags for Forum Posts: cavendish road, cavendish tree, insurance, protection, tree removal, trees

Views: 2225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So three local properties were repossessed and rather than being offered up to the market to determine a fair price they were snapped up by this company. Fishy?

There's nothing to say those three properties are linked by anything other than tree damage.

Ah, yes, the private company thing only applies to the property in Cavendish, as far as I know -- I don't know the circumstances of the other properties.

Have they heard of heave?  Take out a tree and the ground reacts by moving upwards.  So after it's gone, they realise that ground goes in three dimensions... 

Yes, somebody told me about heave this morning! But as far as this tree is concerned, this line of reasoning would only have persuasive power if the people living there had complained about damage to their property. As it is, they never did -- it's only come up once the property was repossessed and bought by that limited company. Which makes me think that this is less about damage potentially caused by the tree, but about a precautionary measure either by the council, or an insurance issue.

But if you know whom to make this argument to, I'd like to bring it up, too!

"has been implicated in" is not "caused damage".  If you can find anyone in LBH to take it up, try asking for a copy of the survey that shows this damage, that they would have seen as part of processing this order?  A house that's been let for years could well have all sorts of mysterious faults, eg from roof damage..

There were once several beautiful big old trees in what's now the Hawes+Curtis car park.  They had tree preservation orders on them, so no-one was worried when works began on the building. Then - hop-la! - over the easter weekend, they were mysteriously felled.

Does anyone remember the outcome of that sorry story?

So no-one was to blame, no-one was fined £20k per tree for illegal felling, and no-one has replaced them?

We just hates trees we do.   Nasty smelly things getting in the way of our cars.

I've set up a petition on the Haringey Council website. I would have like to have more information from the council first, but thought I'd better get started in case things move fast. It's not live yet, and I will post again with the link once it is.

In the meantime, I've also set up a petition on Change.org -- please add your name to it if you're so minded. Thank you! 

Save the Cavendish Tree

https://www.change.org/p/haringey-council-save-the-cavendish-tree?r...

Maren and I met yesterday and I wrote to Haringey about the tree, asking several questions as to why they are planning to cut it down.  Maren also wrote to Peray Ahmet. The good news is the plans are postponed whilst it is all being investigated further.

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay Ward

I'd like to add to that that both Zena and Peray couldn't have been more kind, helpful and considerate, in listening to my concerns, taking in the wider perspective and keeping an open mind. Thank you both!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service