Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I got my leaflet today stating that from October you have to pay £75 a year for garden waste collection. Further bulk collections will cost £25 for 4 items then £10 per item. If the dustman break your wheelie bin or you don't have one you have to pay £30.

I rang Haringey who transferred me to veola. Veola say it's Haringey council who decided they need to save 20 million for social care.

I am disgusted. I have lived in this borough for 53 years and all this is going to do is make people dump rubbish in the streets in a borough that has the worst fly tipping in England.

As far as saving money for social care, already the council tax bill went up to cover this. Haringey council should stop wasting money on other things.

I for one will not pay £75 and I suggest Haringey think again..

Tags for Forum Posts: garden waste, waste collection charges

Views: 7877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, why does it have to be another bin. Why can't we just keep the bags. I don't have space for another bin and neither do most people.
I agree but charging for this is appalling. Haringey tried charging for all bulk collections years ago and removed it because more people were dumping in streets..so the same thing will happen again. And who breaks the bins? The dustman and if they do you then have to pay £30? No..I will not pay £75 a year and certainly will not pay for a new bin if they break mine

They keep breaking my gate too.

Absolutely! #nomorewheeliebins

Absolutely, why a bin?  It's been great that they taste away the leaves - what else is one meant to do with them?  Are we going to have to pay for everything separately - they might as well put up rates in that case.  But I don't WANT another bin in our front (tiny) garden. Already we managed not to have the recycled bin, by opting for bags, which works well.  When you have houses that are now flats their whole frontage are bins. 

See this discussion from page 11 on. First announced on HoL back in March.

Scan of leaflet attached.

Attachments:

Too many people already burn waste in back gardens near us, this will only increase such antisocial behaviour.

Since there's already a notorious fly-tipping hotspot on the corner of my road (mattresses, broken furniture, black bags spilling domestic rubbish, to say the least of it), I assume it'll only get worse. Hard to believe punitive charging will anything like cover the cost of the extra Veolia collections needed to deal with increased dumping.

As an aside, when my black wheelie-bin was stolen last autumn while I was away, I spent nearly two weeks in correspondence with Veolia, who maintained they couldn't replace it until my front garden had been inspected, sometime in the subsequent month... to see if it was suitable for a wheelie-bin to be there! In the end I sent them a photo of the empty space where it had once been; copying it to LBH finally ended the nonsense and got me a new bin in 24 hours. If it happened again, though, I think I'd now be tempted just to put black bags in the bin space rather than having to pay £30 for a replacement.

I can't decide whether the thinking behind this new scheme is plain stupid or vicious.  £1.45 per week is in fact extortionate: how many households in the borough of Haringey have a garden large enough to substantially fill a large wheelie bin with garden waste every week?  I live on a street of substantial houses in Crouch End but the gardens are relatively small.  Even the most assiduous gardeners don't leave a hessian bag out every single week.  I'm the world's most useless/unenthusiastic gardener (jungle keeper).  I leave a bag out a few times a year.  Now I'm buggered.  Am I turning into a female Meldrew?  What are the people at the head of Haringey Council thinking?  From this end it feels like we can just all fuck off and they can pocket their millions and billions and chuckle away.  For they sure aren't investing anything in services.

The only way I see this working is if a few neighbouring households club together to pay for a shared bin that they keep locked.  It exhausts me just to think about it.

As for charging for normal bins, which can only be damaged by the refuse collection services or lost through theft.  How can this not be criminal?

Very well said. I agree, why am I so angry? It's because this is ecomic illiteracy! They won't get 10,000 households to sign up, precisely because of the extra bin issue.

I think what makes you quite so angry is the bungling incompetency. We lose a service, they will NOT generate that income!

Just got my leaflet, that is just so much money.

I mean I only use the bags once at the end of the summer and approx twice at the begining of the summer, when i trim my bush at the front.  well if i dont cut my bush back, the council will soon knock on my door telling me I need to- so they cant have it both ways. I dont have a spare £75 a year to spend on getting my cut back bush taken away

Unfortunately I dont have any neighbours who are gardeners and likely to club together- Why so expensive- why waste money on new bins which i dont have room for

I'll leave aside a large moan about Haringey council for the moment, and a moan about me not being the one who put a crack in my recycling bin... Knowing this is going to happen my thoughts turn to practicalities.

Does anyone know what the 'if you think your garden is too small...we can offer other options' entails? I have a small strip of front 'garden', and with only a small courtyard out the back, I put out garden waste 5, maybe 6 times a year. I have no room for any more bins.

So £75  a year for 6 collections and have to find space for a bin that will be empty most of the year. Surely not?

Is there a pay as you order garden sacks option?

What is annoying is my garden waste is mostly the neighbours over zealous vines which take over my space... Maybe I shoud invoice them. Or shall I dump my garden waste at the end of the street like everyone else? (of course I won't).

I feel a fool I did not see this to be able to comment on it before I got the shock when the leaflet arrived this morning.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service