Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Knowing "my one weakness", one of my work colleagues dangled under my nose recently the thought of creating a new timeline for Harringay.

Unable to resist, I did just that. Please have a look. Any use?

Please let me know what else you think we should add.

Views: 967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Maggie. The 1868 event should be the opening on the railway line. Have change that and the typo you picked up.

Would be great if the schools + anyone else would get involved! I'm sure there are oodles of events currently missed off.

I just read that on the first night of the Blitz (7th September 1940), Eade Road was hit by an unexploded incendiary bomb.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/06/london-blitz-bo...

Thanks Andy - added.

PS: Anyone who want's to stay up-to-date with any additions, click through to the Dipity site and you can follow the timeline to get notified of any updates.

This is brilliant - thank you so much! I am a local teacher (NHP) and have easily been able to find information about Hornsey but very little about Harringay. I will flag it up at staff meeting and add some important school dates - I don't mean parents evening etc...!

PS - re typos: think more than 1000 at the Green Lanes Fest... perhaps another 0 required there!

Thanks Sazzle. Typo corrected. Further important dates would be most welcome.

Totally agree re being able to find a Harringay history. That's what I came across in 2007. My response which I explain here was to develop an online history of Harringay which I did 2007/08. I've also been working with other HoL members to develop a huge resource on this site. Let me know if you need any help finding your way around.

NHP opened in April 1893 and SHS in 1904 - the schools had different names then.

I will have a search for the info I have on NHP

The timeline looks very pretty and is in many respects a useful chronology of events. I think the early part is a bit misleading as it confuses the idea of Harringay toady with the medieaval manor of Hornsey, when in fact Harringay as the district did not appear until the late nineteenth century and was largley in the manors of Brownswood and Tottenham before then. Incidently the section along Green Lanes was called Beans Green.

The most serious error is in the page on news papers. The Hornsey and Middlesex Messenger started in 1888, continued as the Middlesex Messenger in 1889.

The precursors of the Hornsey journal were the Seven Sisters' and Finsbury Park Journal, founded in 1879 with offices in Crouch Hill, became the Hornsey and Finsbury Park Journal in 1880 and then became the Hornsey & Finsbury Park Journal and Nth Islington Standard 1890-1908 and then the Hornsey & Finsbury Park Journal and Muswell Hill Standard 1909-1923, before becoming the Hornsey Journal in 1924.

Thanks for your measured feedback John. 

I'm not sure where your confusion comes from about the earlier period. I agree that it's quite clear that Harringay as a residential neighbourhood developed in the later part of the nineteenth century, but my sense of history isn't dependent on buildings. What I cover in this timeline as well as in my Wikipedia-based work is tracing the history of the geographical area that is now covered by Harringay. That intrigues me. It doesn't you? 

On Wikipedia, where I have the space, I quite clearly outline the different administrative backgrounds of East Harringay and West Harringay. The difference between the manorial histories is explicit. There's not really room to cover that on a timeline. So I haven't really picked it up at all (or have I done so and forgotten all about it?) However, if you think that something I've included on the timeline is confusing, I'd be most grateful for your comments about where and what it is. I've had a very quick browse through and nothing struck me. Often another pair of eyes can be helpful.

Thanks also for your comment on the newspaper history. I'm aware of the useful chronology you offer, but again, my intent with this timeline is flavour not exhaustive detail. You'll note that I used the word 'precursor' when relating the Mercury to the Journal. I chose that word so as to avoid going into the detailed history whilst not stating a corporate relationship between the Mercury and The Journal. (The Collins English Dictionary has the following definition for 'precursor': 'a person or a thing that precedes and shows or announces someone or something to come; harbinger'). So, not an error John, perhaps a difference in opinion on how an idea should be expressed? But your contribution is, as always, most welcome. As this history has been built up, I've been delighted to be corrected, learn details and build a history with other people who live here. So all information is welcome, including any corrections. 

You ominously write "The most serious error....." which suggests that you think there may be other elements you wish to take issue with. Please fire away. Challenge and debate will help further the cause of knowledge. Look at the Ever-Ready discussion: Stephen's knowledge from growing up here in the Fifties and Geoff's from working in the area in the Seventies have been brilliantly useful. I even made the mistake of doubting Stephen - and soon learned the error of my ways!

Your one great weakness eh! This is absolutely fantastic, thanks ever so much Hugh. I never knew about a lot of the very early things (like the kilns). A brilliant resource and would be great if others add to it.

(BYW, I think there is a glitch somewhere in the first sentence of the text associated with the discussion about the Baybasin family).

Thanks Alison; really helpful. Does this look better - could probably do with a bit more wordsmithing, but will it do for now?

Sure, that's better :)

Wow - I LOVE this !

Wish I could figure out a way to print it out to show my elderly mum who doesn't have a computer- she would love it too.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service