Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For the greatest impact and involvement I would suggest a Ladder Car Free Day - remembering, ofcourse, that a ladder consists of many rungs and two side rails.

Tags for Forum Posts: Ladder traffic solutions, traffic

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well John,
I'm not clear that any greater disruption would be involved than in any other of the European car-free days. Worth researching a few comparable examples.
We're never too far away from rain on these islands, but whole-day festivals still happen. Now if we could only lay on some Glastonbury mud . . .
I think any groups who are an integral part of Harringay community should be in, whether overtly or covertly! I'm not sure I want to go to the stake on this principle - but there is such a thing as society and Harringay isn't just a secular community.
Following up a couple of points made by Anette and Ruth above:

A parked car is doing no harm to anyone or the atmosphere. It's car use/abuse, not car visibility, that causes problems.No reason why current parking arrangements can't continue on a 'Car Free Day' - so long as Grand Parade is clear and no vehicles are parked on, say, the last ten metres each end of the rung roads.(See below.)

Sport and games: no reason why short level stretches at the ends of Ladder rung roads and/or Gardens roads shouldn't be staked out and marked for traditional games & pastimes for children, adolescents and adults. Hop-scotch, skittles ,tug o'war etc - all those things we used devote our evenings to on those traffic-lite country roads of the 1940s &'50s.

A highlight of the afternoon could be two mini-Harringathon road races, run/walked concurrently. The walking race for all ages and abilities (including non-powered wheelchairs/tricycles etc) to start at the Bridge and zig-zag around the Gardens roads, with the finishing stretch from Salisbury back to the Bridge.
The Half-Ladderathon would be for younger, fitter serious runners: start at the Bridge, along Grand Parade, up Warham, zig-zag along the one-way system, up Umfreville, along Wightman, down Pemberton, finish along G.Pde back to Bridge.
The Ladderathon is not restricted to residents - serious road runners can be invited.

Clearly stewards would be needed - esp. by Passage entries and exits!

Main thing is at this stage: KEEP THINKING.
From the top of Hewitt;

Yes there is a human being inside. It's called Zorbing.

Yes, OK, Finsbury Park would be better for this. :)
I was thinking more of those wise men of Gotham and their cheese rolling. Probably not advisable to eat cheese after rolling down Warham or Burgoyne.
How about this idea from days gone by:

"There were two regular football matches every evening and weekend in the street at the time, both in the flat bit of the road at the Whightman Road end of Warham Road.
The bottom end was used for "skating boarding" using a book on a roller skate."

contributed by site member AR Rowsell under this charming photo from the 1950s
Yes, that's a great post which I hadn't seen before.
I love this definition, that a ladder consists of many rungs and two side rails, don't forget the side roads.

I've been suggesting a resident's street party for Wightman Rd, that alternates with the Harringay Food Festival, not as grand an idea as a Ladder Car Free Day, but part of the key to unlock the Ladder's traffic situation, and provide respite to residents for half a day.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service