Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When we first moved into our house, we found a Kelly's post office directory from 1935 in the attic which I unearthed again today. It lists all the addresses in the then Hornsey borough and who was the head of household.

Our house was occupied by Arthur Jackson for instance. What is also fascinating is that there was a synagogue on Wightman Road (the current church opposite the mosque) and a lot of residents with German or jewish names living on the ladder (remember, this was 1935).

The unfortunate resident of 26 Priory Gardens N6 was one Mrs Hitler, who I'm sure changed her name by 1939.

If you want to know who lived in your house or anyother address in 1935, just let me know.

Tags for Forum Posts: history of harringay, who lived in your house

Views: 3994

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By 1935 the cattle had moved on and were replaced by Lucas Watkins.

Hi 

Could you please tell me who lived in Ground Floor Flat 30 Wightman Road. Thanks

I think it must have been a shop of some sort as the flat has been converted. It also has these 4 really strange hooks on the wall which I have no idea how to explain to anyone what they are for! 

Mrs M Okker lived in 30 and ran a cafe from the ground floor by the look of the entry. You had a pastry cook (Rooke and Byram) at 28 and Ronald Gray's confectionery shop at 32.

Amazing thanks Micheal. 

Bobby, if you look a the link in the first para of my post above from February 2nd, you can find the same info for 1901. Tell us what you find!

It did try looking on http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/ but it just redirects to http://www.microsoft.com/web/

I think the closest you'll get is where my link above sent you. On that site you have to browse scanned copies of the directories. Nothing is searchable or Michaelable. See their collection here.

Michael, can I add you as a contact so I can be paranoid and put my full address in a private message please? I am ITCHING to know who lived in my house! 

Hi Michael - fascinating thread!

Would you mind checking who was in 6 Venetia Road please?

Hey Ian. It was John Herbert. Your neighbours were Henry Fogarty at No. 4 and Frederick Charles Katritzky at 8.

Brilliant - thanks Michael

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service