Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Can you recommend some trips out to the country (or somewhere picturesque) using public transport?

We have two small children and no car. Has anyone got any ideas for trips out to picturesque spots using public transport?
We have been up to Trent Country Park on the Piccadilly Line and to Kew Gardens, Walthamstow Marshes etc and Hampstead Heath on the train, but do you know of any other top spots to take the little 'uns this summer?

Tags for Forum Posts: child friendly, days out, public transport, summer fun

Views: 3016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed. There's now a museum there and an information centre. Throughout the year, (but mainly holiday times) they run special programs aimed at children with bug hunts, mask making etc. 

Alright Liz

The Lee Valley in general. Its our friendly local north london national park and nature reserve place. You can get the train from Seven Sisters station to Cheshunt station and literally walk off the station platform into beautiful countryside, canals and towpaths, a park with crazy wood carvings, there's a youth hostel round the corner from the train station with a cafe where you can get food (and beer) (often needed with my kids anyway) (I mean for me, not the kids).

I've just spent a few days camping at Dobbs Weir campsite, just north of Broxbourne in the Lee Valley. With my 2 kids (3 and 7). Admittedly with my van in which we chucked our bikes - there's loads of cycle paths. There's so much up there to look around - from Waltham Abbey northwards.

Good luck, get in touch if you want to hear more about it.

Pete

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but if you get the Gospel Oak to Barking train to Barking then you can get another train to Southend on Sea, which is pretty nice : )

yes

roydon village marina

30 mins by train from tottenham hale

some great countryside lovely views a river a marina and loads of lovely wildlife

£7.50 return

From an ex-Harringonian who wrote on this thread in 2008 - try Eastbourne, where we now live. Either via Victoria  - Vic line from Finsbury Park then 1hr30 direct, or via St Pancras Intl, change at Haywards Heath. Folkestone is perhaps the quickest south-coast beach you can get to from Harringay: 55 mins direct from St Pancras Intl. 

Waltham Abbey by train?

Yes, Waltham Abbey is interesting. I've gone there by bus quite often - taking the 279, 217 or 317 to Waltham Cross, which is like a bit of London in Hertfordshire. Then you can get one of the single-decker services that go across the river into Essex. On the way to Waltham Abbey you pass the Lee Valley White Water Centre. The little buses don't take Oyster, and even kids have to pay, but the total distance between the Abbey and the Cross is only about one and a half miles so walking is a possibility.

Clacton-on-Sea

I may be repeating something already said - 7 pages of responses is alot to check through! - but you can take the 444 bus from Turnpike Lane which goes all the way out to Chingford where you can visit the Queen Elizabeth I Hunting Lodge and wander around Epping Forest: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/epping-for...

It's got a nice visitor centre all about the history of the area and the building itself is very interesting and all v. child friendly, the Forest pub just before you reach it (that almost out mock-tudors the real tudor) does cheap and bad harvester-pub-style grub, or you can get more genteel stuff at the Butler's Retreat just beyond.

They often have historical events too - worth looking out for. The bus journey is long and takes you on a real tour of NE London's seedy bits - but all you have to do is sit there...!

Until 1968, the forecourt of the Royal Forest Hotel at Chingford also served as the bus 'turnaround'. With bus routes to as far away as Clapham Common 35, Victoria 38, a 145 to Dagenham and Victoria & Albert Docks 249.

There is now an annual 'Running Day' on which buses return to CHINGFORD RFH for the day. Unfortunately, the 2013 day was in August. This was 2011: http://www.flickr.com/photos/loughtonkid/6109139593/lightbox/

A 1949 view showing the real thing - a 38 to Victoria, a 121 to Enfield and a 145 to Dagenham. http://www.flickr.com/photos/65506543@N06/8748131830/in/photolist-e...

Good links Stephen. The 1949 shot shows pre war AECs developed into the STL and the RT.  The wooden framed Utility Guy in the middle turned up in many places and tragically so few of those buses survive.  

Doesn't the classic simplicity of the RM and the RT, the two green buses, show up the quality of design from the 40s to the 60s, such simplicity going by the board from the last LT design bodies on the 250 odd London Buses procured Leyland Olympians in the 80s.  Since then 'Stylists' have produced odd looking vehicles culminating in the ghastly Borismaster.

Ok the latest buses in Harringay, the Volvo Hybrids moved off the 24 have had their design tidied up; I've got used to them with the diesel version on the W7.  But I rue the day WLT 315, RM 315, came packed all the way into Wood Green Garage with our last local Routemaster on the 29.  A Routemaster convoy up Green Lanes, bus fanatics, eat yer heart out!

Yep, strange that E was working a green ST.

For me RM2212 is the one.. The first one I ever worked on!  Here it is in the version I worked on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/5197443913/in/photolist-8...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service