Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (470)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

When Foyle's had a bookshop on Grand Parade

Idling my time away with a 1914 Kelly's directory yesterday, amongst the drapers, grocers and butchers shops you'd expect, I was surprised…

Started by Liz

4 May 25, 2015
Reply by Hugh

Anyone remember the Music Power Record shop at 37 Grand Parade?

Picked up this tweet from a Twitter user called @clockworkLondon accompanied by a picture of the Paul Simon Estate Agents. This building us…

Started by Liz

14 May 24, 2015
Reply by Hugh

Gas masks, cartoon production, zionists, soclialst party conf ctr - history told by Harringay building

See this article in the History Group - a fascinating little history.

Started by Hugh

0 May 17, 2015

Boxer Rebellion Losses at Green Lanes

Image ©Hugh Flouch Having discovered what is apparently England's oldest surviving terrace of houses on Newington Green, I was hungry for m…

Started by Hugh

5 May 15, 2015
Reply by Hugh

Oldest Survivng Terraced Houses in England at Green Lanes

Image: ©Hugh Flouch The oldest surviving terraced houses in England are just a stone's throw from Harringay off the end of Green Lanes on…

Started by Hugh

23 May 15, 2015
Reply by Jelly Jam

Dialling with Letters - Harringay's Old Telephone Exchanges

I was recently looking at on old advertising handbill for a boxing event at Harringay Arena and noticed that the phone number given was STA…

Started by Hugh

20 Apr 20, 2015
Reply by Martin (Woodside)

Childhood Memories - 3 - Getting About

In the 1950s trolleybuses ran along Green Lanes. There was the 629 Enfield to Tottenham Court Road, the 641 Moorgate to Winchmore Hill and…

Started by Stephen Holliday

1 Jan 30, 2015
Reply by Madeline

Wartime Wedding Photo - can you ID the Church?

Ther photographer was Wightman Road based, but I don't think this is St Paul's. Can you identify the church?

Started by Hugh

11 Jan 27, 2015
Reply by Hugh

The Hornsey Revolution, 1968

The former Hornsey College of Art on Crouch End Hill (Photo: Unknown) On May 28, 1968, students occupied Hornsey College of Art on Crouch…

Started by Hugh

12 Dec 6, 2014
Reply by Finsbury Park Ranger

Barter's Spawn Invade Harringay

What a week; first we had odd lights in the sky. Now we discover that at some point in our past, Harringay was the chosen landing site for…

Started by Hugh

0 Dec 1, 2014

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service