Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (470)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Found - image of North end Wightman Road towards junction with Turnpike Lane, 1948

Finally, I found an image of the north end of Wightman Road; a part that was so much changed by the creation of the Wood Green bypass. It…

Started by Hugh

8 Feb 16
Reply by Harry Carson

Anyone know what used to occupy this plot behind Conway Road?

I walked down Conway Road yesterday evening and saw an entrance to a site which I imagine must have been a workshop/light factory. It's now…

Started by Hugh

51 Feb 6
Reply by John Shulver

Over a century and a quarter of butcher history on Broadway Parade - will the shop-front be saved?

Fig. 1: 23 Broadway Parade in December 2023 In the Summer of 2022, Crouch End lost Morley's Butcher. There had been a butcher's shop in t…

Started by Hugh

1 Jan 4
Reply by Hugh

Pre-1975 local football: Haringey & Edmonton

I am researching the history of Haringey Borough FC, who play at Coles (sic) Park on White Hart Lane (next to the Sea Cadets) Does anyone h…

Started by Mr M

0 Jan 2

Harringay Ladder road name origin: second airing for a sound speculative explanation

Some exchanges on my road WhatsApp group today sent me back to see if I could learn anything new about how the roads on the Ladder were nam…

Started by Hugh

7 Dec 22, 2023
Reply by Chrisandsally

Awful traffic on Wightman Road

This from the local press reporting Councillor Askey in a debate about adopting and making up Wightman Road: "Wightman-road was not in a st…

Started by Hugh

1 Dec 15, 2023
Reply by Dick Harris

The Archway of Highgate

Have you ever wondered exactly where the Archway name came from? By the late 18th century Highgate was a prosperous village with a tollga…

Started by Hugh

8 Dec 13, 2023
Reply by John Shulver

Frederick Dean - Oakfield Road

I've been doing some family research and found out my great grandfather Frederick Dean lived in Oakfield road in the 60s-70s(?) and wanted…

Started by cavendishmark

3 Nov 29, 2023
Reply by cavendishmark

Helena Fedorowicz memorial, Finsbury Park.

Does anyone know who Helena Fedorowicz was, and why there is a memorial to her in Finsbury Park ?  I've looked online and there is not a l…

Started by David Clark

4 Nov 25, 2023
Reply by Hugh

McKenzie Garden (potentially), Finsbury Park 1950s

Started by cavendishmark

0 Nov 14, 2023

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service