Tour leader: Father Peter Randall
In 1892 Cardinal Herbert Vaughn, the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, invited the Jesuits to start a parish, and also elementary and secondary schools for boys. If viewed from the High Road, St Ignatius Primary is now cupped around the Jesuit presbytery and church. The secondary school of St Ignatius College moved to Enfield in 1968. Its previous site is still awaiting development. The college and the Grade 11 listed church were designed by Benedict Williamson. The celebration of Masses in English, Spanish and Polish, and the existence of seven choirs/music groups that span different cultures and ages, is an indication of the diversity of the 1800 strong Sunday Mass attendance. The Art Nouveau style mosaics within the church anticipate and reflect this “mosaic” of cultures.
Meet outside the church, High Road, (junction with St Ann’s Road), N15. Nearest tube is Seven Sisters, 67 bus from Turnpike Lane, numerous buses along the High Road.
Tottenham Civic Society
Add a Comment